Sunday, June 16, 2024

Inspired by Indigenous People's Day by Leanne Dyck

Written in appreciation for the Indigenous people who have inspired me.

photo by ldyck

while in my birth province--Manitoba

As a junior high history student, I wrote a paper on my hero Louis Riel. After studying law in Montreal, he went home to Manitoba and courageously opposed the Canadian government's harsh treatment of his people. He envisioned a future where all people could share the land, equally. I dreamed about how different Manitoba--possibly even Canada--would have been if Riel's vision had been embraced. 

As a Katimavik volunteer, I lived and volunteered in Wendake, Quebec. The Wendat employ their ancient craft traditions to build successful businesses--such as Bastien Industries--and their community prospers.

As an Early Childhood Educator, I cared for Cree and Metis children in daycare centres--in Winnipeg's North End and Manitoba's Interlake. I watched an eighteen-month-old boy slip plastic loops around his ankles and wrists. Properly adorned, he strutted heel, toe, heel, toe--like he had seen his family do at pow-wows. He held his head high. The pride he took in his culture was clearly evident. 

As an adult university student, I took a Native Literature course and wrote a paper on the poet, author, and performer Pauline Johnson. She used her talents to build a bridge of understanding between the Indigenous people and settlers. She inspired me to dream of building a bridge between the neuronormative and neurodivergent communities. 

Strengthened by these examples of courage and pride, I, a settler, stand stronger in the truth of who I am. 

National Indigenous Peoples Day 

More...


From 2014 to 2022, to celebrate Indigenous People's Day, I reviewed books by Indigenous authors...





My paper about Pauline Johnson

part one

part two

part three