Sunday, June 23, 2024

Book Review: In the Belly of the Sphinx by Grant Buday (fiction)

 Set in Victoria, BC during the Victorian era (1837-1901), In the Belly of the Sphinx is about Pearl (daughter) and Florence (mother) Greyland-Smith.

Story question: how is a murderer made?


photo by ldyck

In the Belly of the Sphinx

Grant Buday

Brindle and Glass

an imprint of TouchWood Editions

historical fiction

2023

273 page

I purchased my copy from Books on Mayne


Pearl is raised by her upperly mobile mother in an upper-middle-class household. Appearance, and status matter to Florence. She will do everything it takes to ensure her daughter's future but will Pearl?

Chapter by chapter, I watch Pearl mature from a nine-year-old girl grieving her soldier father to a young woman with her own secrets. Chapter by chapter, I witness the evolution of the mother-daughter relationship.

"'It has always seemed to me that a woman's lot in the world is a precarious one.'"

Grant Buday is a skilled Mayne Island author who uses suspense and secrets to entice his readers and makes history live on the page. He also flavoured this tale with references to Victoria, BC events and landmarks. I was especially pleased that he used Craigdarroch Castle as a backdrop for one of the most significant scenes. Craigdarroch Castle is one of my favourite places on Vancouver Island. 

Tip: Read the Prologue.


More...

a pictorial tour of Craigdarroch Castle

book review: Delusionist by Grant Buday


Next Sunday...

And...


Sunday, June 30, we will celebrate Canada Day on this blog.



Too early on Tuesday, June 18, I wrote...

Messengers

Squawk
three young ravens
in volumes great and greater

on my roof
they land
the sound like thunder
each leap emphasizing their message
Break free of your cage
Come out
Live

They try to make me understand
by day, by night
until
frustrated
they fly
away

And...

Metamorphosis

Tired, sick, old
I breathe my last breath
I shed
the shell that contained me
Finally free
I experience
Everything

photo by Jerry

I spent yesterday (Saturday, June 22) with a dear friend.