Sunday, May 30, 2021

Across the Water (short story) (children's fiction) by Leanne Dyck

 Readers' reviews:  

So good. I'd love to read this to a group of children. When it's illustrated I will! 

And it was entertaining, especially to young children, due to it's imagination-provoking lines, lyrics. What got me, was the sense of loneliness and isolation in your story. And the setting. The beautiful thing though was their determination to connect. Children are indeed lovely beings, who mostly does not care about differences.


photo by ldyck


Two children, who live on neighbouring islands, try to get together to play. This short story is a little bit silly.


I stand on the sandy shore, wave my arms, and chant, 

Come over to my house

Come over and play

Come over to my house

We'll have a fun day

Across the water, you stand on the other shore and ask, "How do I get there?"

"You could catch a ferry."

You run here; you run there--here, there, there, here. A ball of light flies away. You flop down onto the sand. A few minutes later you say, "I can't catch the fairy. She's too fast."

You chant, 

Come over to my house

Come over and play

Come over to my house

We'll have a fun day

Across the water, I stand on the shore and ask, "How do I get there?"

"You could fly."

I flap my arms up and down, down and up--faster and faster and faster, but I can only get a few feet off the ground.

I say, "I can't fly. My arms get too tired."

I chant, 

Come over to my house

Come over and play

Come over to my house

We'll have a fun day

"I have an idea," you say. You run to the water, take a big leap, and... Splash! My island is too far away. You have to swim back to your shore.

You chant

Come over to my house

Come over and play

Come over to my house

We'll have a fun day

My turn, I whistle and a friendly orca swims to my island. I jump on his back. He takes me to your island and then he swims away.

I search here and there, there and here--but I can't find you anywhere. 

Ha-ha-ha, a seagull calls. You jump off the seagull's back and onto my shore. "Yoo-woo, where are you?" you call.

"Over here."

We laugh, we sigh, we chant,

Come over to my house

Come over and play

Come over to my house

We'll have a fun day


"I have an idea," I say. "Stay right there. Don't move."

I make a raft with driftwood and seaweed and set sail for your island. I get closer and closer and closer to you. But then the seaweed breaks. Piece by piece the driftwood floats away. I'm way too tired to swim. All I can do is hold onto the last piece of driftwood. It starts to crumble.

"Help!" I yell.

You swim to me, wrap an arm around me and pull me to shore. We fall asleep on the sandy beach, under the stars.

Come over to my house

Come over and play

Come over to my house

We'll have a fun day





'Over to your house' photo by ldyck


Listening to...

The Penguin Podcast

The CBC spring reading list


            photo by ldyck

June on this blog...

On Thursday, June 17 Iceland celebrates Icelandic National Day and so...
We'll celebrate a day early--Wednesday, June 16--with a reading of In Icelandic

But I've jumped too far ahead...

Wednesday, June 2 
Author Reading
Alone with Him (short story)
I'm alone with him in my bedroom and we're going way too far, but I can't stop myself...

Sunday, June 6
Short Story
Mayne Island Bakery
While selecting an ice cream cone at our island bakery, I take time to show my appreciation, but I don't think it's appreciated.

Wednesday, June 9
Author Reading
Lazy Bones (short story)
Sometimes other people don't understand our lazy 'writerly' ways.

Sunday, June 13
Short Story
The Magic Carpet (children's fiction)
A rain day is saved by using imagination. 

Wednesday, June 16
Author Reading 
In Icelandic (short story)
In celebration of Icelandic National Day

Sunday, June 20
Book Review
From the Ashes by Jesse Thistle (memoir)
puts a face to homelessness 

Wednesday, Jun 23
Author Reading
Writing Stories (short story)
I think I'm alone in my bedroom until...

Sunday, June 27
Book Reviewer:  Benni Chisholm
Lost Immunity by Daniel Kalla (thriller)
CBC radio programs featuring Lost Immunity by Daniel Kalla

Wednesday, June 30
Author Reading
Is sharing stories with your spouse the best way to improve your writing?




Sharing My Author Journey...

Ask me how I know the CoVid crisis is almost over?
Way back on March 4, 2020, I found a writing project to occupy my mind so that I could dwell on something else. So instead of tossing and turning and worrying about CoVid, I could spend my time planning, researching, writing, and typing. I continued to spend it like that until May 26, 2021. That's when I realized I was finished and could give the manuscript to my beta reader. 

Maybe ten years ago, maybe more, when people asked me what I liked most about writing and what I liked least. I would answer, "I love everything about writing."

I know it sounds like a non-answer, but it was genuinely how I felt.

It was how I felt, not any longer.

What I dislike about writing isn't the writing. It's the absence of writing. That moment when I realize I've done my part for now and it's time to hand my manuscript to someone else. 

On May 26, 2021, I actually grieved the loss of my CoVid security blanket. It was a comfort to have when the world was turning upside down and backward. I grieved until I realized that I had three other manuscripts in various stages of development that needed my attention. 

And if I've finished my CoVid project that surely means that--thanks to the medical health system--soon CoVid will be over too.