Sunday, May 23, 2021

Book Review: Dropped Threads: What We Aren't Told (anthology) (Volume one) edited by Carol Shields and Marjorie Anderson

 On Twitter, I tweeted that this anthology was 'little-known'. It may have been 'little-known' to me but to the rest of Canada it was a  'publishing phenomenon'. I'm surprised that someone didn't write back, "Listen, kid." People are very kind. 


This book has sat on my bookshelf untouched for years. I could have donated it to my local library or bookstore. I could have, but I was determined to read it--someday. That day came while searching for a suitable book to review for short story month.




Dropped Threads:

What We Aren't Told

Edited by Carol Shields

and Marjorie Anderson

anthology

Volume one

Vintage Canada

a division of Random House Canada

2001


Dropped Threads is an anthology--as such I would liken it to a box of chocolate. I wasn't sure what waited for me among its pages--short stories or essays, fiction or non-fiction. (How to write a fictional essay) I enjoyed solving this mystery as I happily flipped from one author to the next.

The majority of the authors are Canadian (Rosalie Weaver lives in northern Minnesota), many are from Manitoba. Sandy Frances Duncan is from the Southern Gulf Islands. Imagine that. Some like Carol Shields, Margaret Atwood, Lorna Crozier, Miriam Toews are established authors. Others are academics, ranchers, politicians, homemakers, journalists, lawyers. They are all women. They all address the same question--what is missing from the body of female wisdom?

Among Dropped Threads mainly non-fiction essays ('Lettuce Turnip and Pea' by Anne Hart and 'Edited Version' by Isla James and 'Wild Roses' by Katherine Govier and 'Reflections from Cyberspace' by Carol Hussa Harvey and Katherine C. H. Gardiner are short stories)I found advice on how to grow old, deal with grief, praise for women's work, and observe what women gain during menopause.

'She who knows not

and knows not that she knows not

is uniformed; inform her'

Sandy France Duncan, 'I Have Blinds Now'


Dropped Threads 2: More of What We Aren’t Told



I'm fortunate to have a neighbour with a green thumb
and recently received this uplifting gift.


What I listened to last week...


The Forest of Reading is a Children's Literature writing contest in which the readers' nominate and vote for their favourite books. 

To learn about the Forest of Reading 2021




For me, this was an amazing introduction to this festival. I loved the exchange of ideas and the in-depth explanation of Benjamin Labatut's book When We Cease to Understand the World--translated by Adrian Nathan and shortlisted for the Booker Prize.