Sunday, August 25, 2024

Lean on a Gulf Islander (play) by Leanne Dyck Act I

is about living on a remote island.



"Easing into Autumn"

photo by ldyck

 

Act 1

Stage directions: KJ and Aster stand on the opposite sides of the stage. They each hold a cell phone.

ASTER: You've been on that island so long? Help me understand why you are drawn to remain there.

KJ: I told you it offers the peace and quiet I need to conduct my research. Look, if you've phoned to complain I'm hanging up right now. Click.

ASTER: No, wait, KJ, I need you. Something horrible has happened.

KJ: What is it? (waits for her to continue) How can I help you if you don't tell me what happened?

ASTER: I've been forced to take early retirement.

KJ: You've been what?

ASTER: I've been fired, okay? I've been fired. Oh, please, don't make me elaborate further on the phone.

KJ: No, of course not.

ASTER: Dismissal from my teaching position was in no way my fault. I was forced to act to save my student. Everyone had shirked their responsibility--his former teachers, his parents, everyone--so it fell on me. He would have become a hoodlum if I didn't bring discipline. But instead of praise...they...they... And now every time I step out of our house there they are judging me. I simply can't stay here one second longer.

KJ: You could join me on Mayne Island but I'm sure you won't. You've made that clear so many times. What is it you say, it'll be a cold day in...

ASTER: (interrupting) Oh, I was hoping you'd suggest that.

KJ (lowers the phone to his foot, stomps)

ASTER: What was that?

KJ: Oh, nothing. A spider hit the floor.

ASTER: They're--

KJ: (interrupting) Big? About the size of my hand. But that's small compared to slugs. I saw one yesterday that was as long as my arm. But they just leave a slimy trail. They're not vicious.

ASTER: Well, that's g--.

KJ: (interrupting) Now raccoons, they're nasty. But you'll soon learn not to go out at night. And you'll get used to the isolation.

ASTER: But the ferry--

KJ: (interrupting) When it runs; if there's room.

ASTER: Will take me to the island this coming Thursday.

KJ: I'll be there to pick you up.

ASTER: See you soon. I love you.

KJ: Right. Same.

(they both hang up)

KJ (leans back in a chair, looks relieved) (to audience): She'll never come to the island.

ASTER (drops shoulders, looks depressed) (to audience): I can't stay here. Eyes, everywhere, judging me.


Next Sunday...

Lean on a Gulf Islander

Act II

Why doesn't KJ want Aster to visit him on Mayne Island?



Follow me...


to ensure that you don't miss an Act I