Sunday, September 1, 2024

Lean on a Gulf Islander (play) by Leanne Dyck Act II

 Question: Why doesn't KJ want Aster to visit him on Mayne Island? What is he trying to hide?


photo by ldyck


Act II

Stage direction: Aster centre stage sitting on a chair

Ferry siren sounds

Voice over: This ferry sails to the Southern Gulf Islands, only.

ASTER: Do I have my sunglasses? Did I bring my chequebook? (searches purse)

(quickly stands and starts to pace) What will happen if I get off at the wrong island? How will I get back to Mayne Island? I don't know anyone on any of those other islands. I could be kidnapped and left for dead on some other island and on some other island, and no one would care.

(stage lights begin to fade)

Calm down (sits) Just calm down. Everything will be fine. KJ will be so happy to see me. He'll run to me, arms open--wanting--no, demanding a hug. I'll be a little embarrassed by this public show of affection. But I could never deny him anything. So we'll hug.

He'll say, "I love you."

And I'll whisper, "I love you too."

But we'll wait until we reach the truck to kiss. Then he'll drive us home. The house will be different from our townhouse obviously. But it will be charming and it will overlook the sea.

Voice over: We are now arriving at Village Bay, Mayne Island--transfer point for Saturna Island. Disembarking passengers, please make your way to the car deck.


Next Sunday

Lean on a Gulf Islander

Act III

Will KJ be waiting at the dock?


Follow me...


to ensure that you don't miss an Act 
of 
Lean on a Gulf Islander