Sunday, August 4, 2024

Publish Me (short story) by Leanne Dyck

photo by ldyck

Have you ever felt like this?


Publish Me

We authors meet in small groups to whisper and giggle about all the handsome publishers.

Some of us are captivated by small-town charm. These publishers don't have much money but treat their authors well. You can tell, even from a distance, that there's a real love there.

Everyone notices when he walks into the room. We all smile wider. Some of us are even brave enough to wave. He calls these authors over. "Do you have something you would like me to read?"

I see the author blush as she slips her manuscript to him. I see the hope in her eyes.

I have hope too. So when he calls me over, I give him my best manuscript. I've been saving it for him. I feel proud--like a real author when he flips from page to page. Halfway through my manuscript, he stops reading and looks at me with a twinkle in his eye, "You've got talent."

I feel his words wrap around me like a hug. 

"Come back when you're more experienced." He hands back my manuscript.

Later, I see him, his arm draped over his newest author, and I try not to cry. Will my writing ever be pretty enough?


Where all the cool kids are going...

Free

Writers on Mayne Island Panel Discussion

Sunday, August 11 at 2 pm

Mayne Island Library

Mayne Island, BC, Canada

Featuring Faye Roth, Danielle R. Graham, Pam Withers, 

Amy Reiswig, Lee Beavington & Eden Buday

Pre-registration encouraged

Email: mipl@shaw.ca

Next Sunday...

Learning to Walk (short story)

about the day I learned to walk

More...


I have two friends that I turn to when my author dreams are
crumbling. Though I've never met them, they've been there for me from the beginning and I know they'll be there for me to the end. One of the smartest things I did for my writing career was purchase two audiobooks


Julia Cameron's The Right to Write 


And here's a helpful resource from Penguin Books UK for those new to the publishing game...

Getting Published