Sunday, August 18, 2024

Writing a Play by Leanne Dyck

How, why, when and where I wrote a play--including writing tips.

photo by ldyck
 

Writing a Play


In 2014, Mayne Island Little Theatre invited submissions of short plays with an island theme.

I knew I would accept this opportunity to support my favourite theatre group and to flex my writing muscles but…

-I’d never written a play before

-What would I write?

-Could I finish writing my play in time to meet the submission deadline? It was only a few weeks away.

-I was working on so many writing projects could I add one more?

As I searched for answers, I kept returning to my newly finished novella. It had strong dialogue and action. Inspired, I set to work transforming the novella into a short play.

One of the scenes was set on a ferry and another in a car. I gnawed on that for a while. Building a set wasn’t an option. However, two chairs could become a car and three could be a ferry.

One of the characters needed to share internal dialogue with the audience. A friend suggested the use of gestures and facial expressions. That would help but it wasn’t enough. A solution was found when I learned about the theatrical device known as an aside.

My pen flew and soon I’d adapted part of the novella for the stage.

Seeking feedback, I shared my play with my writing group. As other members were also working on plays, we decided to workshop them. My play was further strengthened when I requested my husband's feedback. Revisions followed and then I submitted my play. Waiting to hear if my play had been selected was stressful, but on one seemingly ordinary day, I received an email congratulating me. My play had won its spot on stage.

Some playwrights are adamant that the actors speak the words they’ve written. However valid, this wasn’t my approach. With my encouragement, the actors suggested dialogue changes and I happily made revisions. In fact, working together, we added a sixth scene.


What I learned about playwriting

-Fall in love with the story

-Vital ingredients: strong dialogue and action

-An aside and a soliloquy are excellent ways to convey a character’s thoughts on stage. 

-Once the play is written it is extremely helpful to gather feedback.

-A playwright writes a play. A director interprets this play for the actors. Actors breathe life into the characters. And so, my play becomes our play and then their play. I’m glad I had the foresight to realize this eventuality as I was able to prepare myself for the roller coaster of emotions that came with the transitions. 


During this approximately two-hour event, readings by the authors were interspersed between a series of questions. These are some of the answers that I heard...

Read archives to absorb the language of the time

There's someone out there right now who needs your words.

Write for yourself first; share it; if it connects with others great.

I write to honour the "more than human" (everything that isn't human)

If you have to deal with annoying people, tell yourself you're doing research for your next book.

When someone says something cool write it down and steal it for your next book.

It's not the idea. It's what you do with it. Any idea can be pursued.

You have to be ready for the idea and the idea has to be ready for you.

The hardest thing about writing is the business of writing.


Next Sunday


I plan to share Act I of my play Lean on a Gulf Island. I'll continue to share the play for the next six Sundays--until Sunday, October 6th. I hope you will join me on this journey.