Sunday, August 11, 2024

Learning to Walk (short memoir) by Leanne Dyck

 When did you learn to walk?

I remember that day so clearly but... Is this my memory or my mom's?


May 1963
The day I learned to walk.


Learning to Walk

    "You were eighteen months old when you learned to walk."

    "Mom, that's so late. Most babies learn to walk around their first birthday. Weren't you concerned that there was something wr--?"

    "Oh, you could walk if you held our hands or the furniture. You just weren't brave enough to let go. But the day you turned eighteen months, your brothers were determined you would learn. They set up four stacking stools, end to end, down the centre of the living and left a gap between the last stool and the sofa. One of your brothers--I can't remember which one, it doesn't matter--held your hands and guided you to the first stool in the row. You grabbed hold and he joined the rest of us on the sofa. 

"With our encouragement, you started on your way--walking the length of the stool and grabbing for the next. Stool after stool until you walked the length of the last stool. You stood there facing us.

"And when you finally let go and walked... Well, such cheering. I'm sure they heard us one town over.

"I always knew you would walk. You just needed a reason. Your brothers, they gave you that reason."


Learning to Stand
Leanne Dyck

Before I could crawl,
I never dreamed I could walk

People carried me and
I was content in their arms


A few minutes ago I was in the Mayne Island library listening to a panel of writers discussing writing. I took notes and look forward to sharing them with you in the near future. 


Next Sunday...

Looking back over these past fourteen years of writing full-time I realize how blessed I've been. I've had many opportunities to stretch my writing muscles. One of my most enjoyable writing challenges was writing a play. I'd like to tell you more about this adventure and I will next Sunday...

Writing a Play