Sunday, May 29, 2022

My Song (a short story inspired by remote island life ) by Leanne Dyck

They say you shouldn't meet your idols. This short story explains why...

photo by ldyck


J. B. Mattison's song Dreams of a Dreamer kept me sane through my teens. So when I hear that he's coming to Mayne Island I'm the first in line at the Ag Hall. On stage, he makes comments about how small and insignificant Mayne Island is--I guess he thinks he's being funny. He opens with my song... My. Song. But... He's pitchy and forgets more than one word. He tries to cover by singing a lot of 'la-la-la's. And when he reaches for those high notes... Well, it's not pretty. 

Still, I want to meet him--to thank him for his music, to thank him for coming. But... He gives me this once over like I'm a slab of meat. 

I'm not sure why but I tell him, "I sing too." and he openly smirks. He writes me off as a small island hack without even hearing me.

I'll still listen to my song. It still means something to me, but I'll forget about him. I know what a loser looks like.



June on this Blog...

In June, we'll shake off those Cvoid blues, and we'll travel near and we'll travel far. I'll take you to Iceland and to the Czech Republic. Why I'll even take you to Arborg, Manitoba. And then we'll walk down the road to the mailbox. Oh, yes, and also, we'll celebrate Canada Day and Independence Day early with an author reading.

Sunday, June 5

Book Review

Secrets of the Sprakkar by Eliza Ried (non-fiction)


Sunday, June 12

Short Story

Kisa

a short story inspired by my experience with Icelandic


Sunday, June 19

Book Review

Indians on Vacation by Thomas King (fiction)


Sunday, June 26

Short Story

Mailbox

a short story that celebrates authors as they, as we continue to travel on our author journey


Wednesday, June 29

Author Reading

Independence

a short story that celebrates Canada Day and Independence Day


A Reader's Joy...

I'm smiling from ear to ear.
Ask me why...
Because...
on Thursday, May 26
I won a free copy of 
by Salma Hussain
published by Penguin Random House

and... And...
on Sunday, May 29
I won a free copy of 
by Caroline Bishop
published by Simon & Schuster Canada
offered on Twitter

Much thanks to Salma and Caroline for their generosity. I can't wait to read their books.