Sunday, July 14, 2024

Harry, the spider by Leanne Dyck (children's story)

Last week, I woke up with a memory of working in a daycare centre--specifically, telling a group of children a story I created on the spot. This memory inspired me to write... 

photo by ldyck

Harry the Spider



Stop! Don't step here. You'll squish me.

Eek! Sorry, it's just that you look so scary.

I know, I'll close my eyes. 

I'll open them very slowly. First one eye, then another and another and another and another and another and another and another. Spiders like me have eight eyes. There that helped a little. Except... Not much. All I can see are your big scary feet.

I have an idea, I'll climb this wall. There that's better. Now I can see your eyes. It's so sad that you only have two. There's so much to see. You must miss a lot with only two eyes.

What do you call that round thing in the middle of your face?

A nose...? That's a silly word. Nose. Hee. Hee.

I know, I'll keep climbing up, up, up, all the way to the ceiling. Now I feel better. You look much smaller from way up here. Climbing walls and ceilings is a lot of fun and it's not that hard. Maybe if you practice you'll be able to. Oh, sorry, I guess not. If you had eight legs like me you'd be able to climb a lot better.

My name is Harry but most people just call me a wolf spider. But that's a silly name because I don't look like a wolf. 

Not all spiders are as nice as me. Some would bite you and some of those bites really, really sting. But I promise I won't bite you.

A lot of people are scared of spiders. I think they're scared of me because I'm so big. But being big isn't my fault. 

If they got to know me they'd like me. I'm a lot more useful than dogs or cats or even fish. 

Like... Like... Do you like flies?

No, I didn't think so. They're really annoying with all their buzzing. A buzz-buzz here and a buzz-buzz there. And... And they walk all over your food spreading germs that can make you sick.

But I can stop them from buzzing. I hide behind furniture or in planters or in the closet. Then when a fly comes buzzing by, I jump out, and before they know it they're a wolf-spider smoothie. No more buzzing. No more germs.

It was fun talking with you. And please rememberbe careful where you walk. 

photo by ldyck


Next Sunday...

 Jump was inspired by a childhood memory and is about risky play.

"Risky play is defined by thrilling and exciting forms of free play that involve uncertainty of outcome and a possibility of physical injury."

Canadian Paediatric Society

Posted on January 25, 2024 

"Dr. Suzanne Beno co-authors a position statement from the Canadian Paediatric Society on the importance of risky outdoor play for physica, mental and social health...

Physically, it increases activity levels and reduces sedentary time, contributing to lifelong physical literacy and possibly enhancing the immune system. Mentally, it supports resilience, problem-solving and conflict resolution while socially, it fosters cooperation, communication and a sense of belonging." 

SickKids

Posted on February 9, 2024