Sunday, May 22, 2022

Book Review: The Spoon Stealer by Lesley Crewe (historical fiction) published by Vagrant Press

 Mary Poppins-like Emmeline Darling floats into people's--family, friends, strangers--lives spreading kindness, compassion, and understanding as she fixes what's broken. The Spoon Stealer by Lesley Crewe is a heart-warming tale set in England and Canada during the 1960s. Keep those tissues handy.

The Spoon Stealer

Lesley Crewe

Vagrant Press

an imprint of Nimbus Publishing

2020

long-listed for Canada Reads 2022

363 pages


Buy this book from an Independent Bookstore in

Canada

United States


Never-married and childless, seventy-four-year-old Emmeline lives a simple life with her dog Vera in a seaside community in England--Leigh-by-the-sea.

Emmeline leaves her house to attend a memoir class at her local library as the story begins. Her memoir soon becomes the star attraction for a diverse group of five women. They listen with rapt attention as Emmeline shares her life story. 

Emmeline was born on a farm in Pictou County, Nova Scotia--the last sibling and only girl in a family of brothers.

The women are eager to learn how she ended up in England during World War I and why she has remained in the country for forty years. 

Emmeline believes that the only family she has is Vera but a letter arrives from Canada to prove her wrong.

Book Message: It's never too late to fix what you perceive is broken in your life.

Book Cover: The book cover is especially appropriate--you'll discover how appropriate after you read the book. The book cover was created by Nimbus's Co-owner, Art Director, and Production Manager Heather Bryan--with input from Lesley Crewe.

May on this Blog...



Sunday, May 29
Short Story
My Song by Leanne Dyck

They say that you shouldn't meet your heroes. This story offers an explanation of why you shouldn't.

photo by ldyck

Sharing my Author Journey...

My dog Abby and I play a game when we are out on a walk. She sits and I toss a treat ahead of us. Then I tell her to, "Find it."

She begins searching miles (miles is an exaggeration) away from anywhere the treat could possibly be. However, she usually eventually finds it.

I'm writing my current manuscript in a similar fashion. I'm following detour after detour, straying farther and farther away from the plot. However, I am confident that--like Abby--I will eventually find it again--that's why I edit.