Sunday, May 8, 2022

Not a Mother but... (short story) by Leanne Dyck

 Dreams about having a newly published picture book inspired this short story. 



photo by ldyck


Not a Mother but...


I read my newly published picture book to my audience of children and parents. Then I begin the Q and A.

Some of the questions are about the book, but others... Others...

"How many children do you have?" Asks a little girl who sits on her mother's lap.

"None. I'm not a mom," I tell her.

"Don't you like kids? Mom says that people that don't like kids don't have--."

Mom says, "Mia, I never said that." To me, she says, "I don't know where she comes up with this stuff."

"Yes, you did." Mia hooks her hand around Mom's neck and brings her head down to face her. "Remember?"

Sensing that Mom feels trapped, I jump in with, "It's okay. I imagine that could be true for some women, but it's never been true for me. I like children and for many years I wanted to be a mom. In fact, I remember telling my parents I wanted to have eight children."

"Eight?" someone says.

"Yes, that's what my dad said. Eight? just like that and then he suggested names for the last two--Ben-jam-in and Phil-up."

Someone laughs and then others do too. 

It puts me at ease and so I continue, "Instead of having my own children, I worked in daycare centres for fourteen years helping to care for other people's children. I also adopted cats and dogs and, in a different way, mothered them. And I mother the books I write. And through the stories I share, I like to think that I'm mothering my readers."

Mia gives me a funny look and I know she's having trouble understanding some of what I'm saying. I hope that maybe she'll talk about what I've said with her mother and together they'll understand.

I lift my gaze and speak to the entire audience, "I never thought I could be happy without being a mom, but I was wrong. There are many ways to mother and there are many ways to be happy. And I am very happy." I look at Mia sitting so comfortably on her mother's lap and for a split second I feel Mia's weight on my lap and I think, what if? So I add,  "Mostly I'm happy." But then I smile for Mia is where she is meant to be and so am I.


More...

Books to read to make Mother's Day easier 

an article by Marisa Bate


May on this Blog...



Sunday, May 15
Book Review
The Running Trees by Amber McMillan (short story collection)
Published by Goose Lane Editions

In celebration of short story month



Sunday, May 22
Book Review
The Spoon Stealer by Lesley Crewe
published by Vagrant Press
(an imprint of Nimbus Publishing)

Sunday, May 29
Short Story
My Song by Leanne Dyck

They say that you shouldn't meet your heroes. This story offers an explanation of why you shouldn't.

This weekend on Mayne Island


Yesterday, Saturday, I attended Pam Wither's book launch at the Mayne Island Library
First a Canadian Rockies avalanche kills their parents. Then Children’s Services threatens to separate them. That’s when the three Gunnarsson kids decide to run away into the mountains and fend for themselves until the oldest turns eighteen and becomes their legal guardian. Not many would dare. But Jon, Korka, and Aron’s parents ran a survival school.

Turns out their plan is full of holes. When food and equipment go missing and illness and injury strike, things get scary. They’re even less prepared for encounters with dangerous animals and a sketchy woods dweller. On top of that, grief, cold, hunger, and sibling infighting threaten to tear them apart, while the search parties are closing in on them. Do Jon, Korka, and Aron really have what it takes to survive? -from the Dundurn Press website

Published by Dundurn Press 


After a two-year hiatus, one of my favourite pop-up restaurants is back in operation. Organized and run by the hard-working volunteers and staff of the Mayne Island Firehall, the delicious, not-to-be-missed breakfast is a fundraiser for the Firehall. It's a very popular event. It's wise to arrive early. That's where I'm going right after you read this. So please read quickly.

I hope you're also having a fun weekend.