Sunday, May 15, 2022

Book Review: The Running Trees (short story collection) by Amber McMillan published by Goose Lane Editions

 The Running Trees is the thinking person's short story collection. 



The Running Trees

Amber McMillan

Published by Goose Lane Editions

2021

Buy this book from an Independent Bookstore in

Canada

United States 

I received my copy of The Running Trees from the publisher



The 13 stories in The Running Trees will get you thinking not only about the topics covered--such as creative license and sibling relations and the nature of truth and...--but also about the nature of story. By that I mean, what the story looks like, how it is written, and what it contains. For example, "The Dinner Party" is the first story in the collection and it is one of the shortest--at seven pages and a few lines. I enjoyed reading this story and I wanted more. So I began to argue with myself. It has a beginning, middle, but does it end? I don't think it-- Yes, it does because the story isn't about what I think it's about.

And... "Photo Happiness", at first, frustrated me because there's no speaker attribution and I really wanted to know who was speaking. Once again I took myself in hand and gave myself time to think. With a calm mind, I was able to see how very clever this treatment was. 

See this book makes you think. Give yourself time to digest what you read. In fact, it might be fun to read this book with a friend. Or... Better yet, it would make a very engaging book club read. And... And I think The Running Trees would make a fantastic audiobook. Have a read and tell me what you think. 

Amber McMillan Answers 

Our Atlantic Book Awards

Nominee Proust Questionaire


May on this Blog...





Sunday, May 22
Book Review
The Spoon Stealer by Lesley Crewe
published by Vagrant Press
(an imprint of Nimbus Publishing)

Are you missing Author Reading Wednesday?
Well...
Based on the popularity of Not a Mother but... I've decided to bring it back. So...

Wednesday, May 18
Author Reading

Hurray! I was able to make this recording. I hope you enjoy listening.


Sunday, May 29
Short Story
My Song by Leanne Dyck

They say that you shouldn't meet your heroes. This story offers an explanation of why you shouldn't.

Cool literary things I found online...



If you're a writer, if you're a reader, GrubStreet  in the USA

More for writers


And for all those fans of independent bookstores,
 you need to hear the latest song by 
Mayne Island songwriter Gail Noonan 

As well as being a talented songwriter, 
Gail is also the proprietor of