Sunday, May 1, 2022

Finding Su-Le (short story) by Leanne Dyck

I grew up on the outskirts of a small community, between two highways. Sometimes people would stop their cars, open the door and toss out...things...like...



Illustration by Debbie Ridpath Ohi
Debbie Ridpath Ohi's YouTube channel


Finding Su-Le


Susan and I took turns. One day we played at her place. The next at mine. That day we were skipping rope with my skipping rope and swinging on my swing.

Crash.

"What was that?" Susan asked.

"A cougar," I guessed.

"A bear," Susan guessed.

"Maybe it's a mon--."

How-r-row.

"It's coming from in there." Susan headed for the old garage.

How-r-row.

"It could be trapped."

"It might be hurt."

The old garage was packed with stuff. So we had to squeeze in. There were old boards with big nails. There was stuff with sharp corners. So we had to be careful.

Meow-r-row.

"There's something over here," Susan said. "It's small and I think it could be a--."

Meow.

We tried to go over. We tried to go under. We went around.

Meow.

The kitten licked and didn't bite or scratch.

"She's so cute," we agreed.

"I hope my mom lets me keep her," I said.

"I saw her first, Leanne."

"She's in my yard."

Meow.

"Maybe we can share her."

"That's a great idea and we can call her--."

"Su-Le," we said together.

Meow.

"I think Su-Le is hungry."

"She needs some milk."

We carried Su-Le inside.

I found a bowl and Susan found the milk.

Mom walked into the kitchen.

"Quick," I said, "We can't let her see--"

Meow.

Mom smiled and then she frowned. "Leanne, where did that cat come from?"

"I found her." I couldn't tell where. I wasn't supposed to go into the garage.

"We found her in the garage." Susan didn't know the rule.

"Please-e-e-e. Can I keep her?"

Mom patted the kitten. "We'll see."

Mom told everyone, "We found a kitten." She asked everyone, "Is it your kitten?" And no one said yes. And so... And so... That's how Su-Le came to live with me.

"But she's my cat too," Susan said.

May on this Blog...


Sunday, May 1 to Saturday, May 7


Sunday, May 8
Short Story
Mothering by Leanne Dyck
 Dreams about having a newly published book inspired this short story.

Sunday, May 15
Book Review
The Running Trees by Amber McMillan (short story collection)
Published by Goose Lane Editions

In celebration of short story month



Sunday, May 22
Book Review
The Spoon Stealer by Lesley Crewe
published by Vagrant Press
(an imprint of Nimbus Publishing)

Sunday, May 29
Short Story
My Song by Leanne Dyck

They say that you shouldn't meet your heroes. This story offers an explanation of why you shouldn't.

Sharing My Author Journey...


One million page views! On April 30th at approximately 11:40 am, my blog received its one

millionth page views. Thank you so much for reading and sharing my short stories and book reviews. I couldn't have achieved this goal without you.