Monday, July 30, 2012

Baked: a banana bread recipe by Leanne Dyck

Back story:  My husband adds a banana to his breakfast every morning. So the fruit is a staple on our shopping list. 
He's alone in this habit. I've never enjoyed uncooked bananas. I do love them cooked in muffins and bread. Don't ask me why I only like them cooked? I have no idea. I have tried and failed to change my ways.
Last Saturday he picked me up after the Farmers' Market and we went shopping. I was surprised to see that bananas weren't on the list. Oh, well, he must have forgotten, I thought. But I won't. So I grabbed a bunch.
Arriving home, I noticed a bunch already on the cupboard. 
Problem:  How to use the bananas before they go bad.
Solution:  I searched the Internet and found this delicious recipe...



Raisin Banana Bread
1/3 cup butter
2/3 cup sugar
2 eggs
3 Tbsp milk
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla extract 
3 mashed bananas
1 cup raisins

Beat together butter, sugar, eggs. Add milk and flour to baking powder, salt and baking soda. Stir into egg mixture just until moistened. Blend in vanilla, bananas and raisins. Turn into a greased bread pan. Bake 350 degrees for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.


***
Last weekend the grounds surrounding the community centre was full of vintage cars. Here's what captured my interest...













***
You may recall that my mother-in-law makes purses out of reclaimed plastic shopping bags.
Here's my collection...

(I recently snagged the first one.
 I plan to carry it to a gala evening--perhaps a book launch.)
Each Saturday, in July, at the Farmers' Market, I sold these purses. 
Notice the label...

And true to her word, my mother-in-law donated over one hundred dollars to the Mayne Island recycling society...
Don't worry if you've missed this shopping opportunity. You're still be able to buy these beautiful purses on Mayne Island. Soon (hopefully Thursday) I'll show you where.
***
Next post:  Plans for August