Sunday, January 1, 2023

Book Review: Flipping Forward Twisting Backward by Alma Fullerton, illustrated by Sarah Mensinga (MG graphic novel)

 Claire Cardin is dedicated, kind-hearted, empathetic, creative, smart, and a problem solver. She excels at gymnastics but she struggles to read and write. Does she have a learning disability?




Flipping Forward Twisting Backward

Alma Fullerton

Illustrated by Sarah Mensinga

Peachtree 

an imprint of Penguin Random House

2022

133 pages

What is it like to be dyslexic? What gifts has our neurodivergence given us? What obstacles do we face? Alma Fullerton tells our story through the eyes of a relatable, likable character.

As a dyslexic, I love the message Alma Fullerton gives the reader--dyslexics are smart; dyslexics are capable. Sometimes we struggle--as everyone does.

Flipping Forward Twisting Backward is an empowering, heart-warming story. I highly recommend this book especially to--but not limited to--striving readers who are 8 to 12 years old.

Beginning next Sunday, January 8...

I introduced readers to Aster in 2009, in my first novel Maynely A Mystery--a mystery set on my island home Mayne Island. Aster was merely a secondary character, still...

'I would have loved to have learned more about the relationship between Aster and her husband.'

wrote Debra Purdy Kong on Goodreads.

And Debra wasn't alone. Many readers wanted me to expand on Aster's story. So, in 2014, when Mayne Island Little Theatre held a playwriting contest, I wrote my play about Aster. And she shone in the spotlight.

Last summer, I visited with Aster once again and she shared even more of her story. In 2023, I plan to share a chapter of Mrs. Kenneth James Stevens Wants A Baby on this blog every Sunday--beginning on Sunday, January 8. I'll share the final chapter on Sunday, July 2.

Kathy Barber, an early reader of Mrs. Kenneth James Stevens Wants A Baby, writes...

'I could not put it down. Had to read the whole thing immediately. It was gripping.'


The Best of 2022 on this Blog...

Your favourite book review...


Your favourite short story...


Your favourite multi-part story...