Sunday, September 11, 2022

Books (short story) by Leanne Dyck

photo by ldyck

I just watched The Newest Tree to Join Rockefeller Centre. That video reminded me of this short story...

 Books


For Christmas and sometimes on my birthday I received a new one. Additionally, one arrived monthly thanks to Dr. Seuss and his friends. However, most of my picture books were hand-me-downs. There were ones about puppies and farm animals and some with poetry and… One of my favourites was about a big ball of string. I’d spend hours pouring over the pictures. Then I’d ask, “Can you read this book to me?” I asked my parents and three older brothers until I found a reader.

One day, perhaps because he was sick and tired of reading to me, my brother Randy told me, “You know, there are other things you can do with your books.”

Don’t worry he didn’t suggest that we burn them.

“We could build a book tower,” he told me, and… “You have so many that I bet it could reach the ceiling.”

I marveled at that possibility.

We collected all my books, armfuls after armfuls, and brought them all to the living room.

“To form the walls, we need four books that are the same height,” Randy told me. “Yes, those will do. We’ll lay this book on top so we can build up from here.”

We built the tower higher and higher and even higher. And even though Randy was a lot taller than me, it became necessary for him to stand on a chair. He retrieved one from the kitchen. I continued to help by passing books up to him. Sometimes he’d pass them back, saying, “Remember, the books have to be the same size.”

I recall spending an entire day hard at play with Randy. I’m not sure if we used all my books or if there were leftovers but I pinky swear that the tower did touch the living room ceiling.

                                                                    photo by ldyck

September on this Blog...

Sunday, September 18

An Old Man On A Small Island by Leanne Dyck (short story)

What do people do for fun on my remote island home? You may wonder.

This short story answers that question.

Sunday, September 25

Book Review: The Secret Diary of Mona Hasan by Salma Hussain (middle grade novel)

I'm currently savoring this book. Will I finish it in time to review it? Here's hoping.