Sunday, October 2, 2022

Book Review: Those Precious Days by Ann Patchett, published by Harper

 Those Precious Days is a collection of 22 essays--24 if you count the essays Ann Patchett wrote for the Introduction and Epilogue. She wrote about what she needs, whom she loves, what she can let go of, and how much energy it takes to let go. But it's what she writes about writing that intrigued me the most.

For example...

'When I'm putting together a novel, I leave all the doors and window open so the characters can come in and just as easily leave.' (p. 238)

Some points she made I agreed with...

'I've found that when some thought wakes me, writing it down is my best hope of going back to sleep.' (p. 187)

Some I didn't...

'writing must be separate from editing and if you try to do both things at the same time, nothing will get done.' (p. 63)

I've always combined editing with writing.




Those Precious Days

Ann Patchett

Harper

an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers

2021

320 pages


Reading These Precious Days was like chatting with an old friend.

I'd like to thank Anne Logan of I've Read This: Book Reviews for Bookworms  for recommending this book.


I've also reviewed State of Wonder by Ann Patchett.


Go RED for Dyslexia


photo by ldyck

October on this Blog...

Scotiabank Giller Prize

and...

Atwood Gibson Writers' Trust Fiction Prize

and...

City of Victoria Butler Book Prize

and...


It's literary awards season and we're celebrating on this blog. I'm devoting the entire month to reviewing books...

Sunday, October 16

Book Review: Everyone in this room will someday be dead (novel) by Emily Austin

Sunday, October 24

Book Review: Hannah and Ariela (novel) by Johnnie Bernhard

Sunday, October 31

 The Dollhouse: a ghost story by Charis Cotter

What happened to and on Sunday, October 9? Well, you know I couldn't go an entire month without sharing a short story. And so...

Sunday, October 9

Mistakes by Leanne Dyck (short story)

This story was inspired by my career as an Early Childhood Educator caring for children in daycare centres.

And I'll sneak other stories in here and there. Keep your eyes open...

Oh, yes and on Wednesday, October 12 I'll record Books and share it on this blog. And with your help, there will be more recordings. I'm always open to suggestions.



'as a writer I am first and foremost my father's daughter. I didn't operate out of a desire to please him so much as a desire not to offend him, and the truth is that the constraints did my work little harm. I found plenty of things to write about that weren't smoking or swearing or sex.' (p. 300)

As for me...

For me, one of the most enjoyable aspects of writing is sharing

what I've written with readers. However, I do so with the understanding that how readers react to my writing will shape me as a writer and I'm cool with that. Writing is a dialogue between the author and the reader.