Sunday, October 9, 2022

Mistakes (short story) by Leanne Dyck

This short story was inspired by my career as an Early Childhood Educator--inspired by it but not about it. I've made mistakes--many, too many--thankfully this wasn't one of them.


photo by ldyck



I'd started working at the daycare only a few weeks before so I was still getting to know everyone.

Tyler, one of the children in my care, rushed to the toilet but she didn't get there fast enough. She kept crying and saying, "I'm not a baby."

Tyler is an adorable little girl with an angelic face and big blue eyes. Seeing those big blue eyes full of tears tore at my heart. I would have done anything to ease her pain. All I could say was, "Everyone makes mistakes."

I dug through our collection of donated clothes and found a pair of pink sweatpants that fit. She dried her eyes and joined the other children at the craft table.

I bagged Tyler's soiled pants and hung them on the hook under her jacket. 

Her mother usually picked her up from daycare. She often arrived with a gift for her daughter--a flower or a pebble or a... Little things that delighted Tyler. Gifts that revealed their special relationship. Small things that spoke loudly about a thoughtful mother. 

That day we were told "Peter" would pick up Tyler. 

I was helping one of the little boys put on his jacket to go outside to play when Peter came.

"You--?" Was all he said when he saw me.

We'd meet the night before at the pub. One thing had led to another and I'd invited him home.

"I work here." Said quickly to ensure him that I wasn't a mom. I smiled at how shy Peter was acting. I didn't think he was capable of shyness. And I smiled because I was excited to see him. Butterflies. The whole nine yards. Doubly so now that I knew he must be Tyler's uncle.

He pulled Tyler's jacket off the hook and knocked the bag containing her soiled pants to the floor. "What's that?" He picked up the bag. "It stinks!"

"Tyler had an accident but--."

"And you didn't wash her pants?"

"The daycare doesn't wash clothing."

"Where's Tyler?"

"She's finishing her snack. Please don't--. I mean she feels really bad about her accident so I told her, Everyone makes--."

Tyler came running down the hall and threw her arms around his leg. "Daddy."

"Mistakes." But I wouldn't make that mistake again.


Go RED for Dyslexia



photo by ldyck

Nails by GG on Mayne Island



photo by ldyck

October on this Blog...

Scotiabank Giller Prize

and...

Atwood Gibson Writers' Trust Fiction Prize

and...

City of Victoria Butler Book Prize

and...


It's literary awards season and we're celebrating on this blog. I'm devoting the entire month to reviewing books...

Sunday, October 16

Book Review: Everyone in this room will someday be dead (novel) by Emily Austin

Sunday, October 24

Book Review: Hannah and Ariela (novel) by Johnnie Bernhard

Sunday, October 31

 The Dollhouse: a ghost story by Charis Cotter

What happened to and on Sunday, October 9? Well, you know I couldn't go an entire month without sharing a short story. And so...



Sharing my author journey...

Congratulations to us. On October 10 this blog will be twelve-years-old.

You watched over it as it found its' feet and started to walk. Now that's running it needs you
more than ever--without you, it may run out into the street and...

To survive, this blog needs us both--writer and reader. 

I'm looking forward to sharing more with you--more book reviews, more short stories, and yes, more author readings.