Sunday, September 25, 2022

Book Review: The Secret Diary of Mona Hasan by Salma Hussain (MG novel), published by Tundra Books

 In 1991, the eldest of a family of soon-to-be five, Mona Hasan has a happy life in Dubai, United Arab Emirates until...until her parents ruin her life by moving the family to a foreign country--Canada.

As a Westerner, I think I see the world clearly. I think I know-- But I had tunnel vision. Enter Mona Hasan.

Crushes, poor haircuts, fashion decisions, arguments with her younger sister, Mona Hasan is a relatable preteen protagonist and the perfect character to open my western eyes to life in another country.

What Mona taught me about the UAE...

Girls can become math teachers but not bankers.

The female body isn't discussed in school.

'Fridays are Holy days and school is closed.' (p. 5)

Mona is a smart, capable, wise pre-teen with a good amount of self-confidence and self-esteem.

Mona wisdom...

'Prehaps alongside reading the [newspaper] headlines of everything happening in the world, we also need to read about and remind ourselves of the extraordinary lives being lived by ordinary people every single day.' (p. 278)

'how big my gazoongas get and what my body looks like is not anywhere as astonishing and incredible as what my body can do.' (p. 141)

'Isn't it  so strange that kids all around the world play different kinds of games but have the exact same amount of fun?' (p. 130)

'why can't we just share the unimportant stuff (like land) with everyone.' (p. 102) 

However, Mona does have flaws. For example, she's not always the nicest person in the room.  




The Secret Diary of Mona Hasan

Salma Hussain

Tundra Books

2022

I received my copy from the author.


Set in a country weathering through war, The Secret Diary of Mona Hasan could have been a scary book. However, because Mona is sheltered from adult concerns, the book is full of humour and thoughtful reflection.


photo by ldyck

October on this Blog...

Go Red for Dyslexia

Winners of the 2022 BC and Yukon Book Prize

and...

Scotiabank Giller Prize

and...

Atwood Gibson Writers' Trust Fiction Prize

and...

City of Victoria Butler Book Prize

and...


It's literary awards season and we're celebrating on this blog. I'm devoting the entire month to reviewing books...

Sunday, October 2

Book Review: These Precious Days (essays) by Ann Patchett

Sunday, October 16

Book Review: Everyone in this room will someday be dead (novel) by Emily Austin

Sunday, October 24

Book Review: Hannah and Ariela (novel) by Johnnie Bernhard

Sunday, October 31

 The Dollhouse: a ghost story by Charis Cotter

What happened to and on Sunday, October 9? Well, you know I couldn't go an entire month without sharing a short story. And so...

Sunday, October 9

Mistakes (short story) by Leanne Dyck

This short story was inspired by my years caring for children in Day Care Centres. 

And I'll sneak other stories in here and there. Keep your eyes open...

Oh, yes and on Wednesday, October 12 I'll record Books and share it on this blog. And with your help, there will be more recordings. I'm always open to suggestions.


Riddle: What gets stronger as it grows older?

Answer: Tea

'when I get older I will be stronger' -Wavin' Flag