Sunday, August 31, 2014

Book Review The Delusionist by Grant Buday


In 2006, with the help of my amateur sound-man husband, I self-published an audio book short story collection. It was my first publication of size; my first book. And I was so proud. After that, when people asked me what I did, I said, "...and I'm an author."



Grant Buday celebrating the release of The Delusionist

Grant Buday and I live on the same island. So it didn't take long for someone to point out, "You're not an author; Grant's an author." 

That's how Grant Buday became the walking, talking example of my goal--to become a traditionally published author. 

Last year or the year before, I attended a literary event where I listened to Anvil Press talk about their future publishing plans. "And Grant Buday's new book," they said and I didn't need to hear anymore. I was ready to buy that book even before it was published. A few months after that, I was a member of a captivated audience, listening to Grant Buday read excerpts from his soon-to-be-released book. This August I bought The Delusionist. And it was well worth the wait. 




The Delusionist is about a beginning: establishing a career in the arts; developing a loving relationship. 

In the opening chapters we are introduced to Cyril. And we learn that he is a gifted artist. But in order to claim this gift Cyril must discover who he is. He must learn to value himself. He must have the courage to stand-up and say, "Yes, this is who I am." How does he learn to do that without the example of a strong, adult male?

In the opening chapters Cyril is drawn to Connie. Unlike Cyril, Connie is unafraid of being different. In fact, she rebels in it. And Connie is driven to succeed. How can Connie build a relationship with Cyril and be free to reach for this success? 

These are the story questions but the tale is much more then the sum of these parts. 

The urban Vancouver setting comes to live at the hands of a master. The reader is treated to a complete sensory tour of the city--sights, smells and tastes. 

I would highly recommend The Delusionist to all artist--but especially to painters.

Thank you, Grant Buday, for this book. For me, it was a gripping ride--with lows of grief and highs of laughter. Please keep writing.


Grant Buday reading a scene from his new book--The Delusionist


Grant Buday will be reading from The Delusionist at Word Vancouver. Here's the festival's schedule. (Sunday at 2 PM)

More about this book...

Literary Press Group of Canada


Sharing my author journey...

Things in my writing life are going swimmingly. Included in current submissions are...
2 novels
4 short story collections
2 novellas
11 short stories
and 1 one-act play

On April 14, 2014 I wrote in my journal
1)Summarize your overall goal into one or two focus words
My focus was 'keep'
2)Determine what must be done daily to achieve this goal.
3) Take action
4)Record your 'Achievement Lists'
5)Celebrate your success
This strategy is paying off in dividends. 

I hope to write more about my productive year in future posts--how I prepared for it and strategies you can use. Feel free to remind me of this idea, if I forget. : )