Sunday, July 3, 2022

Book Review: Brit Happens (memoir) by James Mullinger, published by Goose Lane Editions

England-born comedian James Mullinger fell in love with a Canadian and then he fell in love with Canada. 

This engaging memoir is packed with helpful tips for new stand-up comedians and fascinating information about the east coast of North America.


Brit Happens

James Mullinger

Goose Lane Editions

2022

247 pages

I received my copy from the author, but you can get yours here...


James Mullinger was a success in London, England. However, he was maintaining that success at the expense of his relationship with his family. Something had to change. Visits to his wife's home province persuaded him that New Brunswick might provide a solution.

The opening chapter of Brit Happens begins with James Mullinger moving his young family to New Brunswick. Though he was happy with the move it did present a new problem. How was he going to feed his family as a stand-up comedian in a comedy wasteland? Solving this problem took determination and drive. Read Brit Happens to see how Mullinger pulls it off. And once you do I'm sure you'll agree that London's loss was New Brunswick, was Canada's gain. 


Comedian James Mullinger traces his journey from U.K. to New Brunswick

James Mullinger says Brit Happens--an interview with Atlantic Books


This Summer--July and August--on this blog...

Okay, so here's the plan. I know how much you enjoy reading my longer stories and boy do I have a story for you. Inspired by the writing life, Callie is an eight-chapter story that I'll share every Sunday. Callie is about finding yourself when you think all is lost. I'm looking forward to sharing this story with you.

 One woman's amazing journey to becoming who she was meant to be.

Callie

photo by ldyck

Chapter one will be published on Sunday, July 10th


I Have a Question...

In Brit Happens, James Mullinger describes three classifications of people. Atlantic

Canadians live in Atlantic Canada. Mainlanders live in the rest of Canada. Come From Aways come from outside Canada. But what about me? I live on an island in western Canada. What does that make me? I guess it makes me as confused as a tourist who wants to visit St. John but ends up in St. John's. 


Oh, yes, and...

Wednesday morning, my dog and I went here...



On Thursday, I went here...




and here...



and now I have this fancy new boot...


While out and about,
mind where you walk,
avoid those roots and rocks,
and uneven sidewalks

Oh, life...

One last thing, you have noticed that this blog now features books instead of clouds. I miss the clouds but they weren't loading properly. So I was forced to make a change. I'm sure I'll get used to the books. Because, I mean, who doesn't love books? It would be cool if Blogspot allowed bloggers to use their own images as a backdrop for their blogs.