Sunday, July 17, 2022

Callie Ch 2 by Leanne Dyck (inspired by the writing life) "Surviving"

 Chapter One: No job... No home... No boyfriend... No life... What would you do? What does Aurora do? Read chapter two...

Callie

photo by ldyck

Chapter Two

I'm a survivor. I found an apartment. Rusty brown water poured out of the kitchen faucet, cracked tile floor led to an orange shag carpet, and mold grew on the sliding glass door in the bathroom. Nothing like Ru's dream apartment but it was all I could afford.

The lump of bills hidden away in a compartment in one of the suitcases would just keep getting smaller. The race was on. What would happen first? Would I find a job or end up on the street begging for coins?

What should a person with a bleak future and meager finances do? I took my worried self shopping. Smart, eh?

I found my personal paradise--a bookstore. Bells chimed as I pushed open the door. I left the sunny day and became engulfed in gray fog. Giant towers of books surrounded me. Among them I was drawn like a magnet to On Writing by Stephen King, Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott, Writing Down the Bones by Natalie Goldberg, The Elements of Style by Strunk and White, The Art and Craft of Storytelling by Nancy Lamb, Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fearby Elizabeth Gilbert, The Artist Way: A Spiritual Path to Higher Creativity and The Right to Write by Julia Cameron. My arms weighed down with books I searched for the cash register. Once found, I unloaded the pile with a thud. The guy behind the counter eyed me like some kind of exotic insect. We are alone and his attention unnerved me--slightly.

"This will help," he said in a thick accent, waving a hand over the books. "But you must have..."

Against my better judgment, I followed him down narrow aisles and past towering stacks of books. I'd never felt claustrophobic, but I felt it then. Curiosity was stronger. I needed to know what hidden treasure he would unearth.

He moved with urgency like a rabbit scampering down underground tunnels to... He stopped in front of a collection of necklaces pinned to a corkboard. He removed and, after wiping off a thick layer of dust, handed it to me, saying, "You must have this."

The tarnished pendant bore an engraving of two snakes twisted around a pin. I knew that image. It had been on some of the papers I'd sorted through after my mother's death. She'd been a nurse. "I'm not a nurse or a doctor," I told him, handing the necklace back. 

He forced my hand into a tight fist around the necklace. He said something like 'for-row'. 

Huh...? 

One thing was clear--refusing wasn't an option. I paid for the books but he wouldn't take a cent for the necklace.

Chapter Three



Are you following me?



                                                                photo by ldyck


Anxious, me? Well...

Anxiety is a by-product of dyslexia. You have one; you get the other--as a free gift. I manage my anxiety by going for long walks but...
But with my aircast I haven't been able to do that. 
All was well. I was impressed with how well I was managing stress. But...
On Wednesday, July 13, I had two off-island doctors' appointments--one for my ankle. Keeping the appointments meant I'd have to take the early ferry. At 5:30 AM--a half hour before the ferry terminal opened--my husband parked our truck in front of the terminal gates. We were the seventh vehicle in line--it has been a hard summer to be an islander.
All was fine with me. 
The gates opened. We bought our tickets and joined the queue for the ferry. I read some of my paperback; I took notes for my book review. 
All was fine until...
I started to feel a building sense of unease. I tried to relax and ignore it. I tried the deep breathing exercises my Yoga instructor had taught me. It kept building. 
I need more air.
I pushed open the truck's passenger door. 
I need to get out of this truck. I need to move. Now!
"Where are you going?" My husband asked.
"I need to find someplace to lie down. I think I'm having a panic attack."
"Stay in the truck."
He clearly doesn't understand the situation--I need to find somewhere to lie down. Now!
Feeling light-headed, my heart racing, I slide to the door and--.
"Stay in. This. Truck!" My husband roared. "Tilt the seat back," he said, in a softer voice.
In a near-prone position, I waited for the panic to ease. 
State of balance restored, I decided that it would be a good thing to jot down notes about this episode for my doctor. "How long did the episode last? About five minutes."
My husband gave me one of his patented you've-got-to-be-out-of-your-tree looks. "More like an hour and a half."