Sunday, July 7, 2024

Book Review: The List of Last Chances by Christina Myers (women's fiction)

 The List of Last Chances is about the friendship that forms between thirty-eight-year-old Ruth "Ruthie" MacInnes and sixty-eight-year-old Kay March on a road trip from PEI to BC.

photo by ldyck

The List of Last Chances

Christina Myers

Caitlin Press

2021

Fred Kerner Award Shortlist 2022

(humour, road fiction)


For Valentine's Day, Ruth decides to surprise her boyfriend and...

"I had come home early [to find]...Jack...midway through sagging the clerk who worked in the flower shop under our apartment." (p. 11-12)

Life in tatters, Ruthie moves out of the apartment she shared with Jack and onto her friend Jules' sofa. For six months, Ruthie's life becomes a bottle--all she does is drink. Jules can't stand to watch her friend exist in that state. She wants Ruthie to do something. She is sure what that something is once she finds the perfect solution...

"Wanted: Experienced care attendant to accompany elderly client by car from New Annan, PEI, to Vancouver, BC." (p. 9)

Kay is content on her farm in rural PEI, but her son David worries about her. He tells Ruthie...

Mom "has been widowed for several years now, and she hasn't yet realized that her isolated living conditions are not the safest environment for her when considering her age." (p. 38)

But Ruthie thinks...

"At thirty years my senior, [Kay] was twice as capable as me in pretty much every way--mentally, emotionally and even physically." (p. 129)

David has painstakingly planned the trip from PEI to BC, but Kay tells Ruthie, " 'There are some things I'd like to do. Things that aren't on my son's list.'" (p. 56) Ruthie describes Kay's list as "equal parts sightseeing tour and sin-seeking, with a dash down memory lane." (p. 58) 

Story question: "But here we were, two boats bobbing together on a big empty ocean, pushed together by currents we couldn't control. Would we let the tide take us where it would? Or should we put up the sail and decide where we were heading ourselves?" (p. 58)

Ruthie is a sympathetic protagonist who grows through the course of the story. How much does she grow? That's a question that is left for the reader to ponder. And in this way, The List of Last Chances is a haunting read.

Though technically a minor character, Kay is a major character to me. She's the kind of senior citizen I aspire to be--wise, fun, dynamic and vital. 

I recommend The List of Last Chances, especially for those amid a major transition.


Poetry in the Japanese Gardens

I attended the poetry reading in Mayne Island's Japanese Gardens yesterday afternoon. The gardens made for the perfect backdrop. They are especially lovely at this time of the year. I was looking forward to listening to poets read their work. However, as I walked into the gardens I was issued an invitation to read some of my poems. I usually invest days in preparation for a reading. I've never read "cold turkey" before. There are many reasons for this: I'm dyslexic so reading is a challenge and I'm shy and... It's a long list. However, I surprised myself by accepting the offer. I had a few moments of panic--or was it excitement--before I stood up and faced the audience of about ten. They were warm and supportive. I read two poems and had such a fun time doing that that I read one more. I even adlibbed the introduction to my work. I was so surprised and pleased with myself. I also enjoyed listening to other poets read their work and poetry enthusiasts read their favourite poems by famous poets. Half of those who attended this event read poems. There's talk of future poetry readings. Will I be there? You betcha. I would love for you to attend, as well. 

 

 Next Sunday...

A few days ago I woke with a memory of working in a daycare centre. Especially telling a group of children a story that I created on the spot about a spider. This memory inspired me to write the story Harry the spider. I look forward to sharing this children's story with you next week.