Sunday, December 5, 2021

Book Review: The Thursday Murder Club (cozy mystery) by Richard Osman, published by Penguin Books

 What's a cozy mystery?

Benni Chisholm addresses this question in her brief article.

I was charmed by this mystery that celebrates the ability of seniors.




Buy this Book

From an Independent Bookstore in

Canada

United States

Published by Penguin Books

Published in 2020

361 pages


In the fictitious town of Fairhaven, Kent, England, there is a retirement village--Coopers Chase--where senior citizens whittle away their days strolling through the gardens, sharing baking, drinking wine, and attending club meetings.

Every Thursday, Elizabeth, Ibrahim, Ron, and Joyce meet to discuss murder--old cases and new. This group of friends is analytical, experienced, capable, and quick--they even outperform the police, they even share their leads with the police.

'"however good the police are, you lot are better."' (p. 217)

They solve case after case, and they find forbidden love, brotherly love, eternal love--and they unearth secrets. Oh, so many secrets.

'"Remember when you moved here, and I told you it was a mistake? I told you it would be the end of you? Sitting in you chair, surrounded by other people just waiting out their days? I was wrong... Your eyes are alive, your laugh is back, and it's thanks to Coopers Chase."' (p. 348)


And the best news yet...

The next book in this series has been published

The Man Who Died Twice



On this Blog in December


Wednesday, December 8
Podcast: Author Reading
Leanne Dyck
A short story about appearing on stage at my husband's office party.

Sunday, December 12
Short Story
Walk with Me
by Leanne Dyck
A trip to BC ends with a near-death experience.

Wednesday, December 15
Podcast: Author Reading 
A nice story about my parents' naughty kid.

Sunday, December 19
Book Review
As You Wish:
Inconceivable Tales From The Making of The Princess Bride
Cary Elwes
(memoir)

Friday, December 24
Christmas Eve
Short Story
My CBC Radio Christmas Tradition
Leanne Dyck
A short story inspired by Alan Maitland's reading of The Shepherd by Frederick Forsyth.

Sunday, December 26
Bonus Content
The Other Side
Leanne Dyck
As The Other Side was hands down the most popular "anything" I shared this year, I thought you might be interested in reading this scene.

Wednesday, December 29
Podcast: Author Reading
Listener's choice. What would you like me to record?

Sharing my author journey... 

While bored out on a walk, my dog and I play a game of seek-the-treat. I toss the treat ahead

of us and she has to find it. She's good at the game so I try to toss it into tall grass or something to make it find the treat challenging for her. Often she starts searching a mile or two away (an exaggeration) from where the treat could be. And that, my friends, is how I'm researching my current manuscript. I'm digging up things that are miles away from anything I would ever include in the manuscript. But how... How will I know where the borders are unless I cross them?