Friday, December 24, 2021

On That Plane (short story) by Leanne Dyck

This short story was inspired by Alan Maitland's reading of The Shepherd by Frederick Forsyth.

photo by ldyck

 My parents' radio is on a shelf in the kitchen surrounded by Christmas ornaments, cookbooks, and potted plants. I turn the knob.

"Your Canadian Broadcasting Corporation presents, for your listening pleasure," the announcer pauses for emphasis, "Frederick Forsyth's The Shepherd as read by Alan Maitland."

The next voice is Mr. Maitland's, "While waiting for the control tower to clear..."

I wait for this story each year. It captivates me. I'm in the cockpit. I am that pilot, trying to get home for Christmas. All is well until I hear, "The problem started quietly."

A rush of worry travels from my stomach to my heart. No compass. No radio. The cockpit is transformed from a safe cocoon into a coffin. I'm lost in that endless night sky, facing death's unmistakable call. The plane is going to crash and I'm going to drown in the sea, below. 

Please protect me...

Prayer--that's all I have left. Is it enough? It has to be. But what if it isn't?

Anger replaces prayer

Why did I...? Why didn't they...? I don't deserve...?

Acceptance...

I've lived a good life... In this cockpit, in the plane, this is my favourite place... At least I didn't...

Sadness...

I don't want to die... I have so much left... 

Regret...

Why didn't I...? I should have...? It's too... My life is over...

"It was another aircraft," Mr. Maitland reads. 

And I'm no longer alone. A mysterious stranger answers my prayer and leads me safely home. 

Words... Imagination... For me, it makes a precious gift. One I will treasure all my life.


Thank you As It Happens for sharing this recording for over forty years.

Frederick Forsyth's The Shepherd as read by Alan Maitland on CBC Radio

And  new-to-me story for Christmas...

The Story of Iceland's 13 Yule Lads

And new for everyone for Christmas...

Tiny Reindeer Story Time with Chris Naylor-Ballesteros


Merry Christmas!



On this blog in December...


Sunday, December 26
Bonus Content
The Other Side
Leanne Dyck
As The Other Side was hands down the most popular "anything" I shared this year, I thought you might be interested in reading this scene.

Wednesday, December 29
Podcast: Author Reading
Listener's choice. What would you like me to record?