Monday, June 23, 2014

Writer, how good are you at writing description? asks Leanne Dyck

Summer is the time to...
Explore
Investigate
Live
Be inspired
Don't forget to take a pen and a notebook. Every experience you have can strengthen your writing.
I have an ear for dialogue but writing description is a skill I'm working on.
This week I found myself in an environment I hadn't been for years.
And so I described it...

Pools of people talking. A young guy leans across the aisle but he's too far away. I don't hear what he says or who he says it to. A bench away two twenty-something women take selfies and discuss all they see. And I wonder if they are tourists. To my right, a young woman isolates herself with earbuds and a book. What author has captured this reader's attention? She sets the book on her lap and I search the cover--a young woman with a golden braid:  Margaret Atwood's Bluebeard's Egg Atwood needs to be read by the young--old wisdom finds a young mind.

Where was I?

Did you guess right?

(photo by Byron Dyck)

Fill your mind with adventures.
Share your writing with friends.