Monday, December 23, 2013

Bare knitting needles by Leanne Dyck


What's on my needles?

Nothing. They are bare. No freshly cast on stitches. No nearing completion project. No... Nothing...

A few months ago I was experiencing sharp pain in my wrists. The pain increased after I knit. I went to see my doctor. She directed me to a clinic where my condition was assessed--an electric current was placed on my carpal tunnel. It felt like being tasered--I think, I've never been tasered. The clinic directed me to a hand therapist. This conversation ended with the therapist saying, "Stopping knitting--at least for now--may have been the wisest thing you've done."

Knitting in moderation is okay for most. Knitting in excess--like every waking minute--is not okay.

"Do you miss it?" Many have asked.

I don't miss the pain but I do miss...
-the creative release
-the sensuality
-the meditation
-the new garment

But change comes to all and it has come to me. I'm no longer a knitter--at least for now.
***
And have no fear, there are many wonderful knitting blogs out there. Here's an example 

Oh, yes, and other people are under going a career change. Read this tribute to Steve's
***
Next post:  Yuletide Blog