Thursday, August 16, 2012

A Love Letter (short story) by Leanne Dyck

A Love Letter

We have always had a special relationship. When we meet you woed me with your clever tricks. You were never the same way twice. Sometimes your "b" looked like a "d". Sometimes your "p" looked like a "q". I was surprised to hear that you didn't entertain everyone in this manner.

Later our relationship grew and I learnt that you could be collected into a group. I was informed that this group was read as a word.

Ah, how your words danced before your eyes. Sometimes "w-a-s" danced. How it waltzed. How it jigged. How it jived. Watch it now as it twists into "s-a-w". Amazing! Thrilling! Yet you only danced for me.

Your behavior does make our relationship challenging.

Words dance before my eyes...unclaimed. Sometimes I am forced to guess at your intent. You are always a puzzle, a surprise. You intrigue me. You entertain me. You embarrass me.

Do you remember the time I was reading you to a group of children? I thought we were having a merry old time until one of the children stopped me. It seems you had fooled me yet again but you hadn't fooled the child. Never mind, it was long ago, and I have forgiven you.

It doesn't matter to me that your relationship with others is easier and more harmonious. 

My passion for you grows stronger every day.

About this story...

For many years I felt that dyslexia was an obstacle I had to overcome in order to become an author. In fact, I used it to keep myself in a comfortable nest. Safe and warm, I had an excuse not to shot for the stars--not to attempt to become an author.

But the wind blew and my nest rocked when I heard of authors such as Jules Verne and Agatha Christie. They didn't let dyslexia stop them, I was forced to realize.

And, then, I lost every last twig from my nest when I watched a documentary called Journey into Dyslexia. I sat transfixed as those interviewed helped me see some common misconceptions regarding dyslexia. The major one being that it is a limitation.

Dyslexics are driven to create. Our inner lives are deep pools of inspiration. Now I'm beginning to value my mind for the amazing tool it is.
***
Work in progress
I'm on a little bit of a high this week. My clever muse has led me down a path that is so brilliant. I can't wait to share it with you. In fact, if I could you know I would. But, sadly, we all must wait. But know this, I'm having tons of fun writing.
Word count:  22, 162 words
***
Next post:  There will be no guest post this Friday. I will be away from my computer.
Where will I be?
I could be at Arleen Pare's book reading
'On Friday, August 17th from 4:00 - 5:00 p.m. Arleen Pare will be reading from her new book Leaving Now. Leaving Now is a beautifully written story of a young mother who must leave her two sons to follow her heart.' (quoted from the MayneLiner)

I could be at the Mayne Island Fall Fair

Who wouldn't be? It's tons of fun.
Go to the Mayne News blog, for more info. Scroll down to '87th Annual Mayne Island Fall Fair'

I could be here Writers' Festival -in my dreams, I am. : )
'August 16 - 19, 2012 -- Sechelt, BC
Join Canada's longest running summer gathering of Canadian writers and readers' (quote from their web site)

But where will I be? 
There lies the mystery.
I will be back:  Monday, August 20th