A fun, tongue-twisting poem and the ancient poem it inspired
I Would
I wrote this poetry review in 1987 for the University of Winnipeg’s Children’s Literature course.
I would if I could
If I couldn’t, how could I?
I couldn’t, without I could, could I?
Could you, without you, could ye?
Could ye? Could ye?
Could you, without you could, could ye?
I love the nonsense of this traditional Mother Goose nursery rhyme. It seems to flow in a silly fashion, begging to be told. It gives far more in fun and frolic than it ever demands of the listener. It does, however, have a message: that it is silly and unnecessary to think too much. I agree wholeheartedly with its unmistakable logic.
photo by ldyck
My friend and fine artist Jody Waldie at her recent art show on Mayne Island.
Terrill Welch Gallery Spotlight on artist Jody Waldie
by Terrill Welch
September 25, 2022

