Friday, February 14, 2014

Interview with Author Sheila Johnston

How/why did you start to write?
 I love theatre, history and non-fiction books. So it made sense to me to start to write in 1991 about Canadian theatre performer E. Pauline Johnson-Tekahionwake (b. 1861 – d. 1913). Miss Johnson’s extraordinary life as a performing poet ticked all my boxes…theatre/history/non-fiction.

How did you become an author?
 When Natural Heritage Press of Toronto, Ontario put me under contract for my Pictorial biography about Miss Johnson, I became an author.

What was your first published piece?
 1997 saw the publication of BUCKSKIN & BROADCLOTH: A Celebration of E. Pauline Johnson.

Where was it published?
Toronto, Ontario

How long ago?
16 years ago

What did you do before embarking on your writing career? Was it an asset to your writing? How?
I worked as a Communications Officer at professional theatre companies in Canada and England. It was definitely an asset to my writing. I understood how hard a job writing is.

What inspires you?
Canadian history.

Please share one of your successful author platform building technique
Hand-written notes thanking people who take the time to (1) read my book and (2) communicate their thoughts with me.

Parting words
LIFE makes you smarter;

But LIVING makes you wiser.