Sunday, April 28, 2024

Rural Manitoba Memories by Leanne Dyck (family memoir) part 4

In Part Three of Rural Manitoba Memories,  you learned that my grandparents opened a tea room and grocery store in Eriksdale after WWI. You also learned (learnt) what it was like for my dad to grow up in Eriksdale. 

This Sunday? What did my dad do after graduating from school? Did he take over my grandfather's grocery store? Is that grocery store still run by my family?

Grandpa Willetts' store

Rural Manitoba Memories

Aunty Kay: Dad had the Red and White Store until after the war and sold it to Larry Whitney in the fall of 1945.

Leanne: Free of the store, Grandma and Grandpa moved to BC.

Grandma: When Mrs. Everette met us, she said, when I stepped off the train, “My, you look tired.”

My reply was, “You would too. I’ve been pushing this thing up every hill since Calgary, and holding it back on every down grade.”

R.H.H., reporter: This week’s column should be of particular interest to all those fortunate people who live in the vicinity of that locality known as Upper Lonsdale. In our wanderings up and down the avenue recently, we noticed that the local Post Office had moved...

This move seemed to us to be a fine opportunity to drop into Mr. Willetts’ new place... I like the new place and told him so. Four other people who came in while I was there, told him the same thing. If you haven’t been in there yet, I wish you would do so at your first visit to that popular shopping district. You, too, will approve of the change he has made, I’m sure.

Although only a small store, as stores go, Mr. Willetts has a wide variety of notions and dry goods. He is to be complimented on the fact that his entire stock looks so clean and fresh. This is an asset in itself as it inspires customer confidence.

I'm blessed to come from a family of writers. People who wrote for fun and to build community. Their writing built this memoir.


 The memories continue...

Read the next installment of 

Rural Manitoba Memories




Just a normal Sunday afternoon, I thought, when...

Okay, so, picture this. My husband and I are playing our board game. Our usual Sunday fun

when... Whamoo! The power goes out. Huh?

I look up and over at my neighbour's yard and... Branches have fallen off an arbutus tree. Never trust an arbutus tree. They look pretty but they are a pain in the neck. 

Thankfully, Mayne Island's volunteer firefighters show up to keep everyone safe. And then these guys...



(BC Hydro) showed up to reconnect me to you.