Sunday, July 12, 2020

Book Review: Room by Emma Donoghue

In Room, a five-year-old boy and his mother are held captive in an 11 x 11 foot room. 


A few years ago, I walked into my local bookstore. 

The proprietor greeted me--book in hand. "Leanne, you have to read Room."

"What's it about?"

"A mother and her son are held captive in an eleven-by-eleven foot space." Was all I heard her say.

And all I could think was:  How depressing. Do I really need to feed my brain something so heavy?

But I value her opinion. So brought Room home. 

For two years the book haunted me until I finally gave in. I took the book off the shelf, flipped it open and read the first page. 

And what I thought was:  The story is told by a five-year-old boy? What an original narrator. Maybe I should just read the book simply to discover how/if Emma Donoghue pulls it off. 

I tried to keep reading but...

All I could think was:  What if something happens to the little boy? I don't want to read about the victimization of a child. 

Then, one day, curiosity won. I dived back in. I learnt that Jack isn't a victim. And even though hero and survivor are adjectives I would use to describe him I learnt that he wouldn't claim them. Room to me symbolizes fear and confinement--Room to him symbolizes a cozy home, thanks to his courageous mother.  

As I write this I have ten pages left to read--and I don't want to leave Jack. I feel a deep connection to him. He has made me laugh out loud; he has brought me to tears. 

Yes, it is a story about a mother and son confined in a small space. But, oh, it's so much more than that.


Questions I asked myself as I read:  What's my Room? What's my Outside? Why? How can I break free and overcome?






Published by HarperCollins Canada
Published in 2010


Related articles...



The cast of Room talk about the movie


I'm still here.

photo by ldyck

Follow, follow me...





"found art"
found this when out on a walk--love it when people hide their art 
photo by ldyck

A short story...


The Difference Between BC and Manitoba Mosquitoes
Leanne Dyck


In BC...

Bzzz Bzzz Bzzz
Human squats but misses
"I'm sorry. Am I bothering you. My fault. I'll leave." Mosquito flies away.

In Manitoba...

Bzzz Bzzz Bzzz
Human squats but misses
"Your blood is ours. Attack!" An army of mosquitoes entraps the human and drains his blood.


Found a resource for Authors of Children's Books...



Enjoyed a podcast on Facebook by Simon & Schuster Historical Fiction authors