Sunday, March 29, 2020

Book Review: Dual Citizens by Alix Ohlin Scotiabank Giller shortlisted book 2019

Does Lark's sister Robin inspire her or hamper her development?

Because their mother Marianne can't be tamed by motherhood, Lark must mother her sister. Because Robin is the captivating star, Lark is left in the shadows--the silent observer. Because Robin is wild, Lark is tame. The two sisters are forever linked--dual citizens in the world.
'If you juxtapose two images...no matter how different, the viewer will make meaning from the montage. The second image in the sequence will alter the meaning of the first... My sister next to me changed how I thought of myself.' (p. 260)
'the world found my sister as exceptional as I did, and myself as ordinary' (p. 83)



Published by House of Anansi
Published in 2019
Scotiabank Giller prize finalist 

When I work-shopped my young adult novel, I was told to begin with the most compelling scene--it pulls the reader in. Dual Citizens begins this way and did pull me in. Like assembling a jigsaw puzzle, I read carefully waiting to slip the scene into where it fit in the story.

Except for the opening scene, Dual Citizens unfolds in chronological order beginning with Lark's birth to a Canadian mother and an American father. Lark narrates her life with Robin. Through school, through boyfriends, through finding their place in the world the sisters'--at times strained--relationship continues.

The book concludes with an epilogue. I'm a big fan of this additional chapter. It's like getting a peek into the characters lives after the story ends.

Book Review:  Inside by Alix Ohlin

photo by ldyck

April on this blog...

We'll celebrate Easter with a short story

Be Gentle
published on this blog on April 12th

We'll celebrate Poetry month with three lists

My Poetry Collection

a collection of poems that I wrote
Yeah? Me.
Why are you so surprised?
(Just playing. I know why.)

published on this blog on April 5th


Poetry Publishers--magazines

a list of magazines that publish poems

published on this blog on April 19th

Poetry Book Publishers

a list of publishers that publish poetry books

published on my blog on April 26th





Are you following me?

Facebook
Twitter
Linked In

photo by ldyck
art by ?
Sharing my author journey...

Have you noticed what a positive place the Internet has become?
Musicians and authors and photographers and...--we've all come

together to support each other with our talent. 

I'm snug as a bug in a rug on my island home working on my latest projects. I'm dealing with the weight of worry by attempting to stay positive--going for walks with my dog, playing with my husband, reading entertaining books. 

I'm currently reading Crow Winter by Karen McBride and I look forward to sharing my review, on this blog, in June.


Take care
Keep positive

"Abby"
photo by ldyck