Sunday, August 25, 2019

Book Review: The Princess Dolls by Ellen Schwartz (historical fiction)


What would you do if you felt a friend was being treated unjustly?




I received my copy from the author

Illustrations by Mariko Ando
Published by Tradewind Books
Published in 2018

Set in Canada in 1942, The Princess Dolls is a middle-grade (for readers 8 to 10 years old) novel that explores the challenging topics of prejudice and activism.

Esther, a Jewish-Canadian girl, and Michiko, a Japanese-Canadian girl, are best friends and avid fans of princesses Elizabeth and Margaret. When their differences stand in the way of their friendship they turn to their mutual interest to heal their relationship.

I thoroughly enjoyed the feel-good ending. 

More...

My interview with author Ellen Schwartz

Ellen Schwartz CWILL BC member




On this blog in September...

September. Ah, September... The transition from Summer to Fall has always been difficult for me--especially when the Summer has been lovely. This Summer was lovely. Thankfully, I have my writing and good books. They help.

Story Stories...

September 1 and 8
Afi

Who helped shaped your life?
This two-part short story is about my afi (Icelandic-Canadian grandpa) and amma (grandma)

September 22
My First Writers' Group

During my first couple of years on Mayne Island, I formed a writing group. This short story is about my experiences with this group.

Book reviews:  

September 15
Bunny by Mona Awad

I love weird and twisted books. I loved Bunny.

September 29
The Pearl by John Steinbeck

I first read this book in junior high (middle school) and recently re-read it. Did my impressions of this book change? How? This is a then and now review.


Before taking this picture, I encouraged Abby to look at me. She refused. That's why I call this picture... 'Abby posing' by ldyck

Sharing my author journey...

What's harder to write than the synopsis?

Writing a chapter-by-chapter outline is like writing multi synopsis.


But, for me, writing one was invaluable in completing my middle-grade novel because it gave me a clear picture of what was happening. It helped me see that things were too easy for my protagonist. It helped me see that not much was happening in a couple of chapters. And it helped me find solutions to these problems.