Sunday, July 9, 2017

Book review: 13 Ways of Looking at a Fat Girl by Mona Awad

13 chapters tell the hidden truths of women's lives. I'll guarantee that at least two of these chapters will hit so close to home that you'll wince. I started reading 13 Ways of Looking at a Fat Girl in a bus shelter and one scene hit so hard that I turned red in the face and wanted to hide. "No, don't tell them that. Not that." I was so convinced that the person sitting beside me would read the words and know everything. This book isn't for the fate of heart.


Photo by LDyck

Published in 2016



I admire novelists who take a different path when writing their books. Awad is another example. She uses a variety of POVs--best friend, lover, etc. But it's more than that, some of the opening chapters made me wonder if I was reading a linked short story collection or a novel. Later chapters confirmed it was a novel.

First-time authors are warned:  Don't play loose and easy with the rules. Later when you're an established author have-at-her. But. Not. Now.

13 Ways of Looking at a Fat Girl is Mona Awad's first novel.

Huh?

More...

The Vancouver Sun discusses 13 Ways of Looking at a Fat Girl




Next post:  Shakespeare and Snorri
Sunday, July 16 
Published at approximately 5 PM PT