Friday, May 23, 2014

Guest Post Leann Sweeney



How/why did you start to write?

I always wanted to write but took a different path first, thinking I could never live my dream. But when I started to nudge my children to "follow their dreams" I decided it was time to set an example.

How did you become an author?

I became an author through taking classes, studying, learning from other writers and most importantly reading. I also entered a lot of writing contests because it taught me to follow guidelines that publishers demand. Editors are always looking for a reason to reject a writer because they get so many submissions. I wanted to make sure that I didn't give them an immediate reason to reject me before they read my work.

What was your first published piece?

I believe it was a short story.

Where was it published?

It appeared in a small magazine and I was paid nothing except free copies. But I saw my name in print.

How long ago?

This was in the mid-nineties.

What did you do before embarking on your writing career? Was it an asset to your writing? How?

I was a registered nurse but I also have a degree in behavioral science. Both those things help me create believable characters.

What inspires you?

Any "what if" question. Anything beautiful that I want to find words to describe. Human nature.

Please share one of your successful author platform building technique

I have to thank the successful authors I knew before I was published. They gave me quotes for my first book—people like Carolyn Hart and Rick Riordan. Their quotes appeared on my covers and I know it helped launch me. It was difficult asking for those quotes because I don't like to impose but it was a step that proved so helpful. I don't hesitate when an editor asks me for a cover quote now.

Parting words

I have two series currently in publication but only one I am writing now—the Cats in Trouble Mysteries with amateur sleuth and quilter Jillian Hart as the heroine. And the little kitty quilts my heroine makes? I've made a few myself.



Leann Sweeney's website

Facebook

Facebook page

Blog