Monday, March 31, 2014

How do you get published? (poem) by Leanne Dyck



How do you get published?

Fluffy white clouds
Colour rich rainbows
Songbirds sang
I typed, wrote for hours, days, weeks, years, decades



People, who looked like me, walked and others ran past
I followed
I came to a sign and read, 'Publishing House'
An arrow pointed the way
I continued down that road
Until I stood in front of a white wall
Others stood there too
But they were soon gone
Where did they go?


I heard noises
It sounded like a party
"Hey, why don't you join us?" someone called
I searched high; I searched low
But I couldn't find a doorknob or even a door



Someone else walked up
"Hey, can you tell me how to get." I pointed at the wall. "Inside."
"Sure," she said. "Here's the key." She handed me a note.
I unfolded the note and read, "Keep writing and submitting."
And so I did.



I haven't got in, not yet.
But I know I will, soon.
And when I do, I'll pass the key on to you.