Thursday, June 13, 2013

Secrets of Successful blogging

I created this blog on October 10, 2010. Today it has received over 117,000 page views. How did I do that? How did I build this successful blog? What are my secrets? Spill. 

Well, number one:  I owe this success to you. Thanks to your kind support we've nourished this blog until it was successful.

What are those other secrets, you ask.

Well...

Money?
Nope.
I didn't buy advertisement.

What I did was...

Be genuine

Readers want to get to know you. That’s why they visit your blog. So welcome them in. But give careful thought as to what you will share about your life and what you won’t. Where will you draw the line?

Add value

Don’t just blog for the sake of blogging. Try to offer your readers something of value. For example, here is a small sampling of what you’ll find on my blog…
The Leanne’s Free Hand Knitting Patterns page features the patterns I’ve designed, available to my readers free of charge
The Writers’ Resources page consists of a collection of articles regarding the publishing industry
The Book Reviews page is where I rave about my favourite books

Be predictable

Are you old enough to remember, ‘Same Bat-time, same Bat-channel’?
Did you faithfully tune in?
The same thing can happen for your blog.
I blog on Mondays, Thursdays and Fridays.
When and how many times will you blog?

Build community

A successful blog not only features the contributing author(s) but also acts as a networking tool. I network with my fellow authors through my blog by featuring a guest author each Friday. Other bloggers build community by ending their posts with an engaging question. How will you build your community?

Do what socialites do — be seen

Gain name recognition and support for your blog by being seen on the Blogosphere. The best way to do this is to comment on other blogs.

Be positive

The biggest secret of my success is that I have fun blogging. Negativity gets old fast. Who wants to be around it? I don’t, that’s for sure. And my guess is that you don’t either. Why would your readers? So have fun. Remember, it’s not a four-letter word.

This article was first published on Lou Allin's blog

Want some more blogging secrets...
5 Secrets of Successful Bloggers on the Freeing Imperfections blog
11 Secrets of Creating a Successful Blog on the 11 Points blog
The Secret to Successful Blogging by Yaro Starak
Blogging Secrets from Top Blogs on About.com
And the bottom-line... 'The secret is that there is no secret' - on Humans are Weird

***
Sharing My Author Journey...

Revision is the word that dominated this week. Some authors detest working on revisions. Me? I reveal in it. It's a chance to see how much my writing has improved. And I'm impressed with my progress.
Today I woke up with a cool idea for a non-fiction book. Will this cool idea become reality? Time will tell. : )
***
Next post:  Please welcome Author Deanna Sletten

2 comments:

Laurie Buchanan said...

And that's precisely why I keep coming back for more - all the reasons you listed make your blog a delightful "rest area" along the journey. THANK YOU!

Leanne Dyck said...

The feeling is mutual. I highly recommend your blog to all--encouraging, inspiring and fun.
Keep writing,
Leanne