Tuesday, May 10, 2011

My life on stage


An actress? Me? Um, not! Or at least that's what I thought before I encountered Mayne Island Little Theatre. After that meeting I was never the same. MILT taught me to step outside my comfort zone and have fun doing it--mostly.
My acting career was brief, varied and coloured by many happy memories. Choosing from them proved to be a challenge.
My role as a monk was easy. All that was required of me was to walk across the stage chanting and hitting myself in the head with a piece of foam. Oh, yes and the tricky part--do this in sync with others. Well, this tricky part proved to be too tricky for me. I thought I'd never get it right. I did eventually manage to reach this goal once during a rehearsal. You can't imagine my relief when Carol McAndrew (the play's director) said, "No, I think it's funnier when you're not in sync."
The actor who was playing Charles was already on stage, reading the paper. I entered looking every bit the pregnant wife.
"Charles," I said rubbing my swollen tummy. "I'm having a baby."
"Penelope, it's a balloon."
"It's a baby."
"It's a balloon."
This debate continued until Charles stood, pin in hand, walked over to me and burst my balloon.
"Prick!" I roared and the audience howled with laughter. (on the island I'm known to be shy and reserved--or at least I was then)

Thank you MILT and may you have at least 30 more.

4 comments:

creativepotager said...

Oh Leanne I am so sorry you are sick but I am also delighted that I got read your speech. What a great time you share about. Hope you are feeling better soon.

holessence said...

Leanne - You turned lemons into lemonade, and shared your speech with us here. Feel better soon!

The Sweater Curse said...

Hi Creativepotager,
Yes, it was a wonderful initiation into life on a delightful island.
Thank you for the well wishes.

The Sweater Curse said...

Hi Holessence,
Thank you for being there so I could share it. Health--is my goal. : )