Monday, May 16, 2011

Knitting---the good, the bad

The Good
When you are working a large project you won't be able to complete it in one sitting. You will need to secure your live stitches on your needle. You do this by using a stitch saver. Most stitch savers are small caps that slip onto the end of one needle. This is the most common type.
I'm not sure when this little red stitch saver entered my life. I don't even know how I acquired it. Did I buy it along with a fistful of needles at the church fair or was it among a yarn donation? How ever it happened I can't imagine my knitting life without it.


You: Why is it so special?
Me: Well, not only does it keep my stitch safely on my needle but it also keeps my needles together. As well, I can stop knitting in mid row, slip the stitch saver on and be good to go.
Love it!

The Bad
Many plastic knitting needles are constructed in two pieces. This is a bad thing thing because it means at any time this can happen...




If...when...it does I'm left scrambling to collect my stitches and slip them back on to my needles.

There is a solution--work with steel or bamboo needles.

So, why do I continue to work with plastic needles?

They' re affordable.

However, as my husband has often pointed out--cheap isn't always the best way to go.

***

In cyberspace...

Today, I'm visiting Sarah Ballance's blog. Please visit me here

***

Next post: A mouthful of mystery