Sunday, September 15, 2019

Book Review: Bunny by Mona Awad

This book's message:  How you feel about me is none of my business. How I feel when I'm around you is.





Published by Viking
an imprint of Penguin Random House
Published in 2019

Buy this Book

Samantha Heather Mackey is enrolled in post-graduate studies in creative writing at Warren University in New England. An important component of the program is Workshop--an opportunity to give and receive feedback about your work with your peers. Samatha's peers are the Bunnies--four closely bonded women.

Of Workshop, Samantha says, 'Just me and them in a room with no visible escape routes for two hours and twenty minutes. Every week for thirteen weeks.' (p. 10)

Samantha says that the Bunnies are completely 'immune to the disdain of their fellow graduate student. Me. Samantha Heather Mackey. Who is not a Bunny. Who will never be a Bunny.' (p. 4)
And I think she has no desire to be a member of that group of friends. But when Samantha  receives an invitation from the Bunnies, she feels 'a weird and shameful swelling in [her] heart.' (p. 10)

During each Workshop, the Bunnies gave each other way too sticky sweet praise but looked 'down at each story [Samantha] submitted like it was a baby that just gave them the finger.' (p. 24) As a result, Samantha stops writing... But that isn't the end of the story.


Mona Awad's writing is graphic...

'My throat is a red, pulsing fist in my neck.' (p. 190)
and poetic...
 'Being with you is like being in literature. I have no idea where you'll lead me next.' (p. 236)
and memorable... 


Bunny is a weird, twisted ride into truth. Truth about friendship true and friendship false; about finding your true self even though others may attempt to hide her from you; about how to nurture your art--and how not to; about... 



More...

Also by Mona Awad...

My book review of 13 Ways of Looking at a Fat Girl

"Bunny" Shows MFA Programs for the Dark Horror They Truly Are (a book review and interview with the author) by columnist Deirdre Coyle

Please join me next Sunday evening...

My first writers' group

Years ago, at a house party, I told a friend of my desire to develop my writing muscles. Her advice, form a writing group. Please read this short story to learn what happened next...