Sunday, November 1, 2020

A Bedtime Story (short story) by Leanne Dyck


photo by ldyck

Reading books can make memories that will last a lifetime. 

A Bedtime Story


In my footie pajamas, I crawl onto my dad's lap and snuggle up close to his flannel shirt. Soap and water can't hide his farmer's cologne--a  blend of sheep, hay, and soil.

He always begins my stories in the same way, "In the land of here and now and right away, lived a little girl named Gwen, or was it Amy?

"Her hair was golden blonde or black. Does it matter?

"She was your age. Or was she older? Or a little younger? Oh, you know, it doesn't really matter.

"She lived a humdrum life, in a ho-hum way, but one day, one day..."

He recounts one of my daily adventures and makes it magical. I'm rocked to sleep by his words. My dad is a magnificent storyteller.

Virtual Reading...

Wednesday, November 4


This short story was inspired by my years working as an Early Childhood Educator caring for children in daycare centres.

(Thank you for your input on this--I truly appreciate it.)

Next Sunday...



Book Review:  How to Pronounce Knife 
Souvankham Thammavongsa

Short story collection

Short-listed for the Scotiabank Giller Prize





Are you following me?

Facebook
Twitter
Linked In


Sharing my author's journey...

WIP:  
word count:  6,917 words
goal:  40,000+ words

How often do you send manuscripts to publishers?
In pursuit of an answer to this question, I asked more experienced authors.

Some said, "Once a month. Then wait three months and send them something else."

That answer didn't satisfy me. It seemed like I'd be spending way too much time waiting. So I kept asking.

Other experienced authors said, "Find your own rhythm."

So I did. Mine happened to be a Niel Peart drum solo.

I overwhelmed small publishers, but I was sure larger publishing houses would be prepared and maybe even appreciative of my speed.

Turns out I was wrong. I overwhelmed the big guys too.

My advice to you--what I wish I'd done--be far less interested in speed and far more interested in quality. Don't get me wrong. I loved everything I sent, but, looking back, I think I may have been too close to my work. This is when a second pair of eyes would have been very helpful. Hopefully the second pair of eyes that helps you will belong to a more experienced author or editor.

Also, don't get fixated on one publisher. The more publishers you send your work to the more likely you are to be published.

I hope you find this advice helpful. Happy writing.