Sunday, December 1, 2019

Hmm... a list of book quotes collected by Leanne Dyck


photo by ldyck

December can be a challenging month for many, including me. So I thought I'd help us start the month on a positive note with this list of quotes--collected since 2012 from the books I've reviewed for this blog. I invite you to select a quote to act as an affirmation. Click on each book's title and the link will take you to my review.
'"Never be so focused on what you're looking for that you overlook the thing you actually find."' State of Wonder, Ann Patchett
'"It's what you learn after you think you know it all that counts."' Short, Holly Goldberg Sloan
 '[A] man finds what he looks for, and he who believes in a ghost will surely find a ghost.' Independent People, Halldor Laxness
'"Parents owe their children everything, always and unconditionally."' The Saturday Night Ghost Club, Craig Davidson
'Many hearts beating together make us stronger.' Indian Horse, Richard Wagamese
'[N]ormal is just a setting on the dryer.' Short, Holly Goldberg Sloan
'It's never the differences between people that surprise us. It's the things that, against all odds, we have in common.'  
ShortHolly Goldberg Sloan
'Do all the good you can/By all the means you can/In all the ways you can/In all the places you can/At all the times you can/To all the people you can/As long as you ever can -John Wesley's Rule' Wonder, RJ Palacio 
'The old us is a new us every day, and we have to accept that we will have a beginning and a middle and an end.' 
ShortHolly Goldberg Sloan
'We are saved by saving others.' Sweep, Jonathan Auxier 
 '"You can't have courage without fear."' SweepJonathan Auxier 
'The goal to be reached and the determination to reach it are brother and sister, and slumber in the same heart.' Independent PeopleHalldor Laxness
'No matter what happens, the past has a permanence. The past is safe.' An Ocean of Minutes, Thea Lim

 Next Sunday evening...

December 8:  Christmas Secrets (short story)

I wasn't always this fine example of a human being. Next Sunday I'll reveal what a truly horrible child I was. Please don't judge me too harshly.

Sharing my author's journey...

Yesterday, November 30, I entertained a room full of people with my writing during a Storyteller Evening.

Nine storytellers and three songwriters filled the Agricultural Society Hall on Mayne Island with stories. 

I'm endlessly impressed by the creativity and talent that exists on this island. And so was proud that I got to contribute. 

I practiced and practiced my reading and it all paid off last night. I read like a pro. And enjoyed every minute on stage.

Much thanks to Mayne Island Little Theatre for organizing this event. Hopefully, there will be another one soon.