Sunday, December 21, 2014

Yule Reflections

Darkness brings introspection. Each Yule arrives with a message. 2014 I received...



Because you have a creative mind you can conjure such an amazing life for yourself. You write the dialogue, develop the plot, set the scene. It's awe inspiring, fulfilling, and overwhelming. It bewitches you. And so when reality doesn't live up to fantasy it crushes you. You wallow in the muck of your disappointment. It's impossible to see clearly when you're covered by mud. And so you miss things -- the thoughtfulness of friends and family, the irrepressible joy of children, the magic of each new day. Wake up. Don't be dazzled by star dust. Open your eyes to reality. Your life is a blessing cherish it.

"It starts with this:  put your desk in the corner, and every time you sit down there to write, remind yourself why it sin't in the middle of the room. Life isn't a support system for art. It's the other way around." Stephen King

Sharing my author journey...

What music-themed short story am I going to share during the next open mic night (January 16th)?

That question started a hunt through my collected body of work. Inspiration struck shortly after the conclusion of the hunt and I transformed a novella into a short story. (It works both ways (short story into novella, novella into short story), you know.) And I realized, not only can I read the short story during the evening but I can also submit the short story to a literary journal, in the new year. And, come to think of it, I need to formulate a plan of attack -- in terms of submissions to publishers for 2015. Maybe that's what I'll work on this week. Wish me luck. I'll let you know how it goes.

4 comments:

letscutthecrap said...

Wish you a wonderful Christmas and a healthy, happy and prosperous New Year, Leanne. Good things await.

Leanne Dyck said...

Happy Solstice to you, Tess. I hope this season and the new year holds many wonderful things for you.

Laurie Buchanan said...

Leanne — "Your life is a blessing cherish it." Amen siSTAR!

Leanne Dyck said...

: ) Thank you, Laurie.
Hope you are enjoying your holidays and that 2015 is a wonderful year for you.