Monday, December 1, 2014

What It Takes To Be A Writer by Leanne Dyck

I subscribe to the Writers Unboxed blog. Usually I find an article that challenges, entertains, inspires or informs me. Case-in-point, What It Really Takes by Sarah Callender . In her article, Sarah Callender reflects on an article she read in the Poets and Writers magazine. Sarah writes, 'In this article, Perversity of Spirit, Rufi Thorpe describes a young student and the question he asks her, with palpable desperation, over a cup of coffee:  Do I have what it takes to be a writer?

As I read his earnest question, I recalled the intensity with which I...sought the answer to that same question.'

Callender continues by recounting memories of how she arrived at the answer to his question and she concludes by asking, 'Was there a point you realized you had what it took? What were the hurdles...that tried to thwart you? Whose gifts have encourage you to keep at it?'

My love for stories developed at a very early age. Despite my struggles with reading and spelling (I have dyslexia), this passion led me to write my own stories. Encouraged to continue to write by my family, my teachers and my friends, I eventually self-publishing Maynely A Mystery--a mystery set on Mayne Island (my island home).

Months after I published, I recall being stopped in the post office parking lot, by a man I knew--but not very well. 

"I'm not a reader," he told me. "But I read your book--quickly, without stopping."

I was deeply touched by his words and shortly after that made a commitment to continue to submit my writing to publishers until something happened. Well, things have happened I've continued to collect encouragement. And the biggest support -- my husband goes to work every week so I can continue to write.


Our first snowfall of the year.
It arrived early Saturday morning and the light dusting is still here today.


Words fall like snow from my brain onto the page or screen. Sometimes I write blog posts, sometimes stories, but I always write. And I know as long as I keep writing something will happen. I. Know. It. Will. Right now, I live on faith.

Sharing my author journey...

Every ending brings a new beginning.
You meet "my" writing group on November 17th. Remember? 
Well, I'm sad to report that we had our last meeting Friday, November 28th. We parted as friends. 


During our last meeting, I received the feedback I was looking for on my short stories and will be working on preparing them for submission today.