Sunday, May 19, 2019

Annie (short story) by Leanne Dyck


What would you do to make a dream reality? 

This short story was inspired by The Perfect Nanny by Leila Slimani.

photo by ldyck


Annie

Maybe some people look at my life and think I'm pathetic. But I'm not. Not really. I mean I've got a nice apartment. It's childproof--no sharp edges, everything nice and clean. The children who come are my sister's. A rangy bunch. Mine will never behave like them. I've studied child development. That's what I do. I work in a daycare. I love babies. That's what I want more than anything else in the world--a baby. Some of the mothers... Well, they're too young, aren't they? They don't have my experience, my education. Holding this one little girl, Annie... Rocking her to sleep... She's a dream is my Annie. Her mother doesn't treat her right. Yells at her. Whacks her for sticking things in her mouth. But that's what she's supposed to do. Babies explore with all their senses. That's how they learn. Everything in the daycare is clean. We keep it like that. She whacked Annie and I wanted to shake her.

I wanted to scream, "She's a baby. Be gentle."

Annie deserves better. Then I got to thinking--I'm better. 

With one paycheque I bought a stroller. With another a crib. I told my nosey sister they're for when her kids stay over. Like really? Never. They're all for Annie. Annie's mom won't even miss her. She doesn't want her, not like I do. I'll be doing them a favour, really.

But how will I get Annie out of the daycare and home here with me? That'll be the challenge.

Much thanks to my beta reader for helping me with this very short story.



Next post

Sunday, May 26 at approximately 5 PM PST

Book review:  Milkman by Anna Burns

Set in Ireland during the time of the troubles.
Won the 2018 Man Booker prize