Sunday, May 26, 2019

Book Review: Milkman by Anna Burns

Milkman by Anna Burns is set in Ireland during the 1970s, during the time of the troubles. "Everyone" is afraid and "everyone" is paranoid. For the eighteen-year-old narrator, this environment is full of tension. To help her cope, she engages in a lot of introspection and, for the reader, this equates to long dark tunnel chapters. 



Buy this book

I found Milkman at Tanner's Books

Published by Gray Wolf Press
Published by Faber & Faber Ltd
Published in 2018
Winner of the 2018 Man Booker Prize

A rule breaker, Burns doesn't name any of her primary characters but a few of her minor characters are named. And the 'Milkman' has nothing to do with milk--not in the liquid sense of the word. Without naming characters, you may wonder how Burns welcomes the reader into the book. The narrator's voice is so strong that I had no choice but to keep reading.

This is Anna Burns' fourth published book. And all I can say is, "More please!"


photo by ldyck

June on this blog...

June 2:  Emphasizing the 'ability' in disability (list)

Have you watched a good movie, lately? Here's a list of three must-sees.

June 9: Fox 8 by George Saunders (book review)

George Saunders' novel Lincoln in the Bardo won the Man Booker Prize in 2017.  Fox 8 is a short novel that packs a powerful punch.

June 16 and 23:  How a Writer Sleeps (short story)

Weird? You like weird. Well, then you'll enjoy this short story.

June 30:  Ellen Schwartz's writing workshop (review)

I'm looking forward to attending Ellen Schwartz's writing workshop on June 14. In this post, I'll publish a brief review.

Sharing my author journey...

During the year,  I work on my writing but allow room for other distractions. But in summer I retreat to my writer's cave. 

What will I focus on this year?



I have work-in-progress that is begging for attention--including a middle-grade novel. And I plan to continue to unearth gold amongst my old computer files. 

Don't worry. This blog will continue to be a priority.

Wishing you a sun-filled, fun summer.