Friday, November 14, 2014

Interview with Teresa Karlinski (Tess Kann)

I’m tickled to be here, Leanne. Thanks so much for the invitation to visit your wonderful site.
(I'm delighted you're here, Tess. I look forward to learning more about you and your writing.)


Contact information: Teresa.Karlinski@gmail.com.

Teresa Karlinski lives in a multigenerational household in Ontario, Canada with her cat, Lady Gaga. She is a grandmother and a student of life with a passion for cooking. Although retired, she’s annoyed she can’t keep up with her overwhelming collection of unread books. Daily life consists of writing, reading, blogging and looking after her two grandchildren. Her stories have appeared in a number of anthologies and magazines.

Life is too short not to enjoy it. If you have a dream, grab it for it will nourish you. 

How/why did you start to write?

At age 10, I’d entered the Fire-fighters’ Week Writing Contest, a challenge between the two schools in town: Catholic and Public. I entered without a second thought and won. The prize was a whopping $12.00 which held no interest for me and was given to my parents’ safe-keeping anyway.  I won? I won! 
Afterwards, until I retired, I occasionally wrote stories, but filed them away. I dreamed someday I’d make time to write as much as I wanted.

How did you become an author?   

I registered for writing classes at our local college and met a magazine publisher who invited me to make a submission. The singular theme was inanimate objects that talk. I wanted to accept the offer but the subject was foreign to me. I didn’t think I could manage it but I did. Afterwards, I submitted stories to other magazines, which were sometimes accepted.
I began life online as Tess Kann because I was unsure of the internet when I started blogging. Now that I am publishing, I use my legal name, Teresa Karlinski.

What was your first published piece? Where was it published? How long ago?

My first published piece (Friends?) appeared in an on-line magazine called Perspectives in July of 2012. It was one of the most stunning electronic publications I had ever seen. The invitation to contribute to such a glamorous masterpiece had me awestruck. 

Reflections on your writing process

If confession is good for the soul, here’s my truth. I’m disorganized, but while I’m writing, I hate interruptions. My morning begins at 6:00 or 7:00 a.m. with a large pot of coffee and the local newspaper. Afterwards, I clear my inbox, catch up on all the newsletters and blogs I subscribe to, and respond to comments on my blog. Poof, the morning’s gone. After lunch I concentrate on writing, editing, and searching for magazines to which I might submit my stories.
Another confession: I am a slow writer and only rarely—maybe once—wrote anything I polished in one day. My story, Friends? wrote itself—well, almost.

What did you do before embarking on your writing career? Was it an asset to your writing? How?

My entire working career took place in an office environment. Writing correspondence on my company’s behalf kept up my grammar and punctuation. After I retired and my mom died, I decided the time had come to take writing classes, and now I spend most of my day at the keyboard.

What inspires you?

Inspiration is everywhere: the way someone does something, how they respond to a situation or it can be a specific word. I don’t know the people in my stories, but I do get to know them once I write and they introduce themselves. They inspire me as well.

Please share one of your successful author platform building technique

I hadn’t put any thought into author platform building as I don’t have a book published. I started my blog three years ago in the hope of meeting other writers, to learn about writing, and to nurture my life-long passion of writing. I learn something new every day from the fascinating people I’ve met in the blogging world, and am astounded at the number of readers I’ve acquired.

Palpable Imaginings (published July 2014) is an anthology in which I’ve had the extreme pleasure of being included. Russ Towne of A Grateful Man http://russtowne.com/ is behind this collection.


Slice of Life, (published September 2014) is an anthology of selected non-fiction short stories.


26 comments:

zeesouthcombe.com said...

Fantastic interview. Just so 'real' and to the point. Thank you.

It's interesting to read about how each of us came to writing. Everyone's story is truly unique, and it is a heartening truth as it makes the whole comparison game negligible.

Thanks for sharing this interview with us, Leanne.

Leanne Dyck said...

You're most welcome, Zee. It's my pleasure.
And my thanks to Teresa for generously sharing her life in writing with us.

sammee44 said...

Fabulous interview, Leanne! I met Tess through you when she commented on my being a "guest" on your site. Tess is such a fun and energetic person--am delighted to read more about her on your site!

Cheers,
Judee

Teagan Geneviene said...

It's nice to meet you Leanne. Lovely to learn more about Tess... i mean Teresa. I think i'll have a hard time calling her anything but Tess. :)
Hugs to you both.

letscutthecrap said...

I appreciate this opportunity and thank you for having me, Leanne. I had fun doing this interview and getting to know you better through our interaction.

letscutthecrap said...

Zee, Sammee and Teagan, I thank each of you for reading and commenting. Nice meeting you again Sammee. Zee and Teagan, wonderful to cross paths with you again.

Carrie Rubin said...

Fun to read these things about you, Tess. Or should I say 'Teresa'? :) Wonderful interview.

letscutthecrap said...

Teagan, I am still Tess everyday.

Sue said...

Wonderful to learn more about your Teresa! I'm afraid I will have to stick with Tess. :)

claudieschild said...

Leanne it's great to read a little about Tess form the lady herself, I really admire her writing,she is a real treasure and very supportive reader of my blog. Thank you!

Darlene said...

Great interview. Tess is an amazing person and very encouraging to other writers.

worddreams said...

What a wonderful interview, Tess. No wonder I adore you. We have a lot in common (except for the grandkids, and Canada and having short stories published and...).

Leanne Dyck said...

Wow, I return from my busy day to this explosion of comments. Thank you all so much and to Tess (Teresa) for inspiring them.

And a special shout out to Judee, Teagan, Claudie.

letscutthecrap said...

So nice to see you here, Carrie. I like Tess by far, but the truth is you can call me anything except late for dinner. (I think that's a Canadian saying...)
Thanks so much for your sunny support.

letscutthecrap said...

Sue, nice to see you. I wear my heart on my sleeve. Cheesy, right? I prefer you call me Tess anyway so it's a win-win. *grins*

letscutthecrap said...

Glaudieschile (Gilly), thanks for your wonderful support. Nice to see you visit me here. This has been an exciting experience.

letscutthecrap said...

worddreams (Jacqui), you light up my life with your positive pokes when I need them. I feel honored to have crossed paths with you. Thank you for visiting me here, especially today.

letscutthecrap said...

Ah, Darlene, bless your heart for visiting. Aren't you unpacking in sunny Spain? Thank you for your kind words, fellow Canadian, and for taking the time to comment. I appreciate your time.

Sherri Matthews said...

Wonderful interview Tess, I really enjoyed reading more about your writing background and your publications. It's been such a pleasure hanging out with you in blogland and sharing one or two adventures:-) I wish you every success not only with your fantastic writing, but also in getting to read all those books of yours :-)

letscutthecrap said...

So nice to see you here, Sherri. Thank you for your wonderful support and kind words.
I'm sure we will share more adventures in blogland. <3

Debby Gies said...

Fabulous interview Tess! Nice to see you making the cyber rounds! :)

Anonymous said...

Such a great interview! Loved reading more about you, Tess. So interesting to learn of your author beginnings while imagining your journey. Kudos to you, Tess!

Olga Nunez Miret said...

Great to learn more about Teresa. Thanks Leanne!

Leanne Dyck said...

You're welcome Olga. Thank you for your comment.

Jo Robinson said...

What a lovely interview and fabulous to find out more about Tess. :)

www.roughwighting.net said...

I'm so happy I met Tess through our blogs. I'm an admirer of the writing, the humor, the travelogue, and the writing connection. Great interview!